OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Two Rio's down in south Texas

Started by gobblerhunter, April 12, 2011, 05:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblerhunter

Recently returned from a hunting trip to south Texas.  Harvested two, two to three year old birds using two calls I recently made.   One call was glass/slate and the second was slate/glass.  Both were made from Kentucky walnut with some sap wood.  Both calls had two surfaces to play so I could sound like several different hens.
Gobblers and hens were still bunched together.  Very hard to call the gobblers away from the hens.  Saw several large bunch of hens with two or three big gobblers following them around.  Gobblers would strut and gobble when I called but choose to stay with the  girls.  Saw two big gobblers with paint brush beards.  Hope to go back later in season and bring one of them home with me.

On the first afternoon I was able to seperate a gobbler with a 9 inch beard from a group of hens.

The second day, I called in a bunch of seven hens and harvested the big gobbler that was trailing the ladies.

As you can see, this was a good bird.  Beard was 11 inches and had 1 1/4 inch spurs.

Two new calls that I used to call birds in.  Did not have time to put my name on either call. I really like the two sided call.  Just by flipping the call, I have two different hens. Especially good with glass and slate.

Thanks for looking and hope you are having a great turkey season.

Bill
Crowell Custom Calls

kenturkey89

Congratulations Bill on two dandy birds and calls!
Brian

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

cannonball

Basser69

Nice birds and great looking calls!

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!