turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tips for condensation??

Started by Spur Addict, April 12, 2011, 05:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spur Addict

What are some good ways to battle condensation on pot calls while in the woods? Thanks in advance.

Trevor2

Cant help ya bud...never had any problems with it here.
Strutstopper

blacky

RainChalk®.
Moisture is a thing of the past since the invention of RainChalk®.                                                                                    
A  full line of calls.
www.genesturkeycalls.com

kenturkey89

Being in KY the humidity can definitely put a damper on a morning hunt...literally.  One of the things you can do is keep your calls in a zip-lock bag before you take them outside.  When you take them out of the bag they will still condense but it reduced the amount of time they may be exposed to moisture.  As far as playing a call goes, you can use different strikers such as carbon-tipped, for example, and they play on wet surfaces, regardless if the call is slightly wet from condensation or saturated from rain.  Slate calls are like a sponge and soak up any moisture in the air, that's where a carbon striker can really come in handy.  You shouldn't have that much of a problem with glass or crystal calls, not sure about aluminum, ceramic, or copper.  Another trick that you can do is take a lighter with you (I do) and you can lightly heat up the end of your striker.  Be careful not to hold it in one area too long or you can burn your striker (some people like a burnt striker tip).  But heating the wood for just a few seconds really good will draw out some moisture that your striker picks up and it should play a lot better in moist conditions.  This is the reason I carry mouth diaphragms with me because they can be played in hot, cold, wet, dry, etc... Hope this helps!
Brian

JThomas

Quote from: blacky on April 12, 2011, 05:58:42 PM
RainChalk®.
Moisture is a thing of the past since the invention of RainChalk®.                                                                                    
x2

Gobblerstopper

I have never had a problem with condensation.  Slate will absorb moisture out of the air and can be removed by running a lighter quickly over the surface.  Condensation though is formed when there is a difference of temp.  Not letting your calls get warmer than the air temp will prevent it.  Don't carry it with your palm over the surface, don't put it in your pants pocket and things like that will help.

Scout24

Slate and wood strikers are useless in wet conditions but switch to a glass/crystal with a synthetic striker and you'll be good to go on those days. I run them under my sink faucet to get the right combo.

bowhunter84

i dont think i've ever had a problem with it

3inchstrutbuster

corian tiped striker will work every time

misfire

Two things come to mind- 1) you can use Rainchalk on the call surface 2) I started making waterproof strikers
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Turkey Trot

Use a lighter (I like the long lighter for the grill because it does not heat your fingers up as much) and put the flame close to the surface but not enough for it to hit.  You'll see the ring spread outward as the moisture leaves, you can rotate the flam to warm the entire surface slightly.  Put the green pad to it afterward to recondition it. 

You can use any number of synthetic strikers.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Old Gobbler

Quote from: Spur Addict on April 12, 2011, 05:34:44 PM
What are some good ways to battle condensation on pot calls while in the woods? Thanks in advance.
ZIP LOCK BAG
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

fl panhandler

I have been using these tupperware containers for years.  I also keep my calls outside on the nights before I hunt the next day so that they are acclimated to the outside temperature already.
imated to the outside temperature already.

Tail Feathers

Bags and covers don't work when you pull the call out in 90% + humidity.  They just get condensation on them immediately.
I use a Mystic Stic on my glass and crystal calls.  I don't use a slate around here due to high humidity.  Just can't make it work for me.
I will try some RainChalk tho!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!