turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lessons my first year

Started by Tidewater Tom, May 10, 2017, 09:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

HAH!  Great story!  Sometimes they just do what they wanna do. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Ihuntoldschool

Yea.  LOL   Call shy does not exist.  Nothing more than a myth and excuse hunters use for why they were unable to call in a particular gobbler.  They will get shy of people/hunters and the stupid things they do, but shy of a GOOD hen sound, Never.

g8rvet

We KNOW you could have called him in IHOS, cause you are the bestest ever. 

CLICK
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

GobbleNut

Quote from: g8rvet on June 13, 2017, 06:41:32 PM

CLICK

Not only could he have calt him and kilt him lickety split, he could do so having the additional disadvantage of having to cover up that big red S on his chest and that shiny blue cape whilst he did it!
...And he can leap tall roost trees in a single bound!  :toothy12: :toothy9: :TooFunny: :toothy9: :toothy12:

Jroddc

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 13, 2017, 08:26:10 PM

CLICK

Not only could he have calt him and kilt him lickety split, he could do so having the additional disadvantage of having to cover up that big red S on his chest and that shiny blue cape whilst he did it!
...And he can leap tall roost trees in a single bound!  :toothy12: :toothy9: :TooFunny: :toothy9: :toothy12:

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Ihuntoldschool

Yea, that poor, lonely, "call shy" gobbler.  He's just so shy and so afraid of the sound of a wild turkey hen that he will respond and give away his location every time he hears her.  Thats logical.   Every Spring he is able to resist the strong physiological urge to breed for he is so frightened by those hen turkey sounds that he runs away and  "avoids them like the plague."  LMAO.   And you have been hunting that same gobbler year after year after year  LMAO.  You probably think early season hunting is best because gobblers are less "call shy" at that time  LMAO.   

You can't call him in so that automatically makes him call shy LMAO.     

Coop1082

......I'm sorry I'm late here, but I'm understanding you don't think birds get call shy? Especially older birds who have been put through the proverbial ringer?
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

GobbleNut

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on June 13, 2017, 10:12:00 PM
Yea, that poor, lonely, "call shy" gobbler.  He's just so shy and so afraid of the sound of a wild turkey hen that he will respond and give away his location every time he hears her.  Thats logical.   Every Spring he is able to resist the strong physiological urge to breed for he is so frightened by those hen turkey sounds that he runs away and  "avoids them like the plague."  LMAO.   And you have been hunting that same gobbler year after year after year  LMAO.  You probably think early season hunting is best because gobblers are less "call shy" at that time  LMAO.   

You can't call him in so that automatically makes him call shy LMAO.   

Geez,...here we go again....the old "I'm a better turkey hunter than you, and I can kill 'em when you can't" defense.

In response to your "hypothesis",... yes, as a matter of fact it is quite "logical", which one would understand if one was to try reading a few books on animal behavior about the vast number of studies that clearly have shown that most all organisms, which would include turkeys, are perfectly capable of adapting their behavior through the effects of positive or negative reinforcement.  You may LYAO all you want to, but that is not going to change the fact that your position that turkeys cannot become call shy has been soundly disproven by FACTUAL evidence to the contrary. 

The "logical" explanation for that gobbler gobbling in response to turkey calling, but not going to the call, is that he has "learned", through his experiences, that approaching turkey calling can result in bad things happening,...such as being shot at or otherwise having the bejesus scared out of him by a human being.  So rather than going to a turkey call in the distance, he announces his presence by gobbling, and then waits for a real hen turkey to GO TO HIM. 

Perhaps, in what I will assume to be your wide turkey hunting travels, you have been fortunate enough to never have hunted a truly "call shy" turkey, but rest assured, they are out there.  Any claims that they are not are nonsense,...not because I say so, but because of the clear animal-behavior science that has proven similar capabilities in organisms time and time again.  You are wrong,...so while you are LYAO, chew on that for a while,...and maybe pick up a book or two and read about animal behavior.  Education can be a wondrous thing.   ;D :toothy12: :toothy9:

g8rvet

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 13, 2017, 08:26:10 PM

CLICK

:z-winnersmiley:

g8rvet

Happy

So your telling me they put a radio collar on silvestris? :)

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

Quote from: Happy on June 14, 2017, 07:02:50 PM
So your telling me they put a radio collar on silvestris? :)

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Not only him, but meleagris and gallopavo, too!  My feeling are hurt because I didn't get one!  I bet our superhero is fuming!   ;D :TooFunny:

owlhoot

CLICK
Ooh I bet he's fun a parties too !! 

High plains drifter

In my experience, location makes all the difference.you have to be in the right spot, and you have to know the land well. This is key. They are smart, but they can be fooled. Stay out of the open, they can see for a half mile.Keep your face, and hands covered at all times.Avoid other hunters, don't tell other hunters anything.Act like you are a greenhorn.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Tidewater Tom on May 10, 2017, 09:38:01 PM
2.  Decoys don't mean much.  I use decoys with good success duck hunting, and ducks drop in on us each week using decoys.  Turkeys, not so much.  I saw a range of behaviors with turkeys attacking my decoys and then some avoiding them like the plague.

I've got plans to make good on all my lessons from my first year of turkey hunting.  Hopefully we'll have better luck next year.

I'm not looking to debate using decoys or not, but just saying there is a definite skill set it takes to be consistently successful with using decoys.

So I do understand this is your first year and you are learning lessons, but I am confused about the statement about the decoys... Why would one think a decoy would work less with a turkey than a duck, goose or even a deer. My guess would be is that you haven't "Learned" how to hunt with them "right". I'm sure it took time to learn how to set your duck decoy spread "right", depending on that hunt situation and if you are successful you have learned a skill set. Same would apply with turkey decoys, once you learn the skill set and how to apply to your hunt then you will see success.

Now there are times I use turkey decoys and times I don't and just depends on the hunt, but when I do I have some success. I have learned that skill, and it's a lot more than just putting them out and expecting every gobbler in the timber to just come running. Just like with your duck decoys you can setup "wrong" and you won't see success...

If you are interested in learning these skills here is a good read.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.0.html

MK M GOBL