turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Burris FFlll vs Vortex Venom

Started by Tidewater Tom, May 10, 2017, 11:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tidewater Tom

Most threads I read here have people liking and using the Burris FFlll.  What about similar red dot sights like the Vortex Venom?  Is there a reason the FFlll is so popular relative to other sights?   I'm working on having three turkey guns for next year and I may try different brands.
Educated beyond my intelligence...

born2hunt

I'm ordering a Venom this week. But I only see very small differences between it and the FF3. I think they're about the only two in that quality/price bracket.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

worth612000

Burris has the forever warranty, even if you sell it's good for the next person. No warranty card ever needed. Has a good resell value. JMO

chatterbox

Personally, I have never shot with the Venom, but have good things about it.
I run Burris FastFires, and have been pleased with the II and the III.
I don't think you can go wrong with either sight.

Spurs Up

Are the mounting options similar or are you restricted to Weaver/picatinny rails for the Venom???

born2hunt

This is Vortex's warranty.

You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods, and monoculars.
Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
Fully transferable
No warranty card to fill out
No receipt needed to hang on to

Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

born2hunt

Quote from: Spurs Up on May 11, 2017, 03:31:14 PM
Are the mounting options similar or are you restricted to Weaver/picatinny rails for the Venom???

They are advertised to share the same footprint and mounting options.

FL-Boss

Vortex -  comes in 3 or 6 MOA
Burris -   comes in 3 or 8 MOA

Burris has the sunshade ( not sure the Vortex does?)
Burris makes an optional metal protector for around $70 - but I'm pretty sure it also fits the Vortex as well

Both have fantastic warranties. Burris can usually be found for about $30 cheaper.
I got 2 Burris FF3 in the last month.. liking them so far.

Tidewater Tom

I've got two guns for turkeys so I'm gonna get one of each.  I'll report my findings after some experience with both.
Educated beyond my intelligence...

CrustyRusty

The footprint is the same for both.  The protector will work with both.  The vortex has 10 light intensity settings I beleive.  The burris has three.  Personally I think the 6moa is a perfect dot size so I would lean to vortex. 

I suggest checking which sight has the most adjustment.  I ran out of adjustment on my FF3 and had to shim a bit, which is common on the burris. If the vortex has more adjustment that would be my choice.

BABS9

I got a vortex venom this year for my 1187 supermag. I love it.

Now I'll say Vortex CS is the best I've ever dealt with. The first one I had the glass cracked near the bottom with only about 5 shots on it. I had a trip to Ohio planned to hunt. Was leaving Thursday. On Tuesday afternoon I go to range make sure everything is in order one shot it cracks. Right there I call ther customer service. Tell them what happened and that I leave for Ohio Thursday. No questions asked what do they do. Overnight me a brand new site and it's on my doorstep the next day by 3. Sighted her in and she's worked flawless ever since with 2 birds under its belt this season.

chatterbox

Quote from: BABS9 on May 13, 2017, 08:44:18 AM
I got a vortex venom this year for my 1187 supermag. I love it.

Now I'll say Vortex CS is the best I've ever dealt with. The first one I had the glass cracked near the bottom with only about 5 shots on it. I had a trip to Ohio planned to hunt. Was leaving Thursday. On Tuesday afternoon I go to range make sure everything is in order one shot it cracks. Right there I call ther customer service. Tell them what happened and that I leave for Ohio Thursday. No questions asked what do they do. Overnight me a brand new site and it's on my doorstep the next day by 3. Sighted her in and she's worked flawless ever since with 2 birds under its belt this season.
That's phenomenal CS right there!
Glad they got you squared away quickly!

Tom Dooley

Do these sights have locking screws that lock down the windage and elevation after sighting in?

Spurs Up

Quote from: Tom Dooley on December 27, 2017, 12:56:34 PM
Do these sights have locking screws that lock down the windage and elevation after sighting in?

No...that feature is not available in the FF3.  Cannot speak to the VV.

Tom Dooley

I guess this is not a problem since these get such great reveiws.