OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Burris FFlll vs Vortex Venom

Started by Tidewater Tom, May 10, 2017, 11:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

The fastfire 3 I had on a gun less than 12 hours when I took it off to return it. Replacing/installing a battery on the one I had was a nightmare.
I actually had to take a break, eat dinner and calm myself.
I use tools for a living as a commercial electrician and had good deterity. Say had cause of some medical issues that compromised me some. It's being righted though.
Anyway everything I read said to be careful with the battery installation. The door strips easy.
After I finally got it on the 2nd shot it fell off. Imagine if a bird was in front of you?? I'd never use the fastfire. Even if it was free.
Even installed the red dot itself was like a red comet with either a long tail or points running dif directions. Who needs it?
The vortex I can't comment on.
Buy anything but the fastfire I'd say you do better

PEte_A

Quote from: CrustyRusty on May 12, 2017, 07:56:42 AM
The footprint is the same for both.  The protector will work with both.  The vortex has 10 light intensity settings I beleive.  The burris has three.  Personally I think the 6moa is a perfect dot size so I would lean to vortex. 

I suggest checking which sight has the most adjustment.  I ran out of adjustment on my FF3 and had to shim a bit, which is common on the burris. If the vortex has more adjustment that would be my choice.

I don't shoot out very far for turkeys, but curious to hear any opinions about at what distance the 6MOA covers up too much to be really effective. I use the same gun for coyotes.

Thanks,
PEte

CrustyRusty

6moa covers about 3 inches at 50 yards...at 25 yards it will be about 1.5 inches.  8moa will cover about 4 at 50 yards.  Some guys like that for ranging purposes on a turkeys head.   I have the 8 on my Burris and would prefer a smaller dot because I don't want to obscure my target at any range I may shoot a turkey at.  For turkey and predator, which is what I use my gun for as well, the 8 is fine especially at the typical range turkeys and predators are shot.    I just would prefer to use a smaller dot and would think 6 is a good compromise. 

PEte_A

CrustyRusty,
Thank you Sir, just the info i was after.
PEte

DrDirtNap

Quote from: CrustyRusty on December 31, 2017, 03:21:44 PM
6moa covers about 3 inches at 50 yards...at 25 yards it will be about 1.5 inches.  8moa will cover about 4 at 50 yards.  Some guys like that for ranging purposes on a turkeys head.   I have the 8 on my Burris and would prefer a smaller dot because I don't want to obscure my target at any range I may shoot a turkey at.  For turkey and predator, which is what I use my gun for as well, the 8 is fine especially at the typical range turkeys and predators are shot.    I just would prefer to use a smaller dot and would think 6 is a good compromise.

I was thinking that 6MOA would cover 6 inches at 100 which would be 12 inches at 50.   Do I have that wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrustyRusty

Hey dirtnap, it is definitely counter intuitive, but that is not the case. 

Strick9

6 moa would cover 12" at 200 yds, MOA is an every extending angle- the closer you are to the apex of the angle the shorter the coverage.
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2