OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Preserving turkey feet  (Read 4030 times)

Offline gobblerman87

Preserving turkey feet
« on: May 08, 2017, 09:24:45 PM »
 :newmascot:all my experts out there I was fortunate enough to harvest a very nice bird on sat I have the fan spread out soaking in borax and the beard now I'm a little stuck on the feet/foot some say just to let them dry by drilling a hole and filling with borax other day they need to be injected with fermaldahyde and if they do need to be injected were can I get some in Baltimore
Md any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline Ranger518SVS

Re: Preserving turkey feet
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 11:35:34 PM »
Last year I cut mine at the ankle took a drill and drilled out as much of the fat/ grease out of the feet and covered the entire feet in borax.  Worked well, there's a lot of info on YouTube on that.
here's one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5yPEyHbyNU

Offline gobblerman87

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 08:29:54 AM »
Yea I want to save the leg as well so cutting it off at the ankle won't work I saw that video but he doesn't say how he preserves it some say cut it off at the top drill a hole pack it with borax and object the feet I just don't want the feet to rot if I don't inject them but I've seen where other people say to just bury the whole leg and foot in borax and it will dry it out soo I'm confused as what to do

Offline Ranger518SVS

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 11:28:38 AM »
Sorry not at the ankle, cut just like the video of this link below.
After drilling I packed the holes with borax? best I could. Put in a shoe box, covered? the entire thing with borax and I checked it once a week. Started to smell after couple weeks but the smell went away after awhile, I let it cure over a month.
http://www.realtree.com/turkey-hunting/articles/5-diy-turkey-taxidermy-projects

Offline gobblerman87

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 06:44:02 AM »
Drilled them out last night and packed with borax thanks for your help