turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Same old or new tactics??

Started by 1iagobblergetter, May 06, 2017, 02:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

Just curious if members on here stick to the same hunting tactics to bag a Gobbler that has worked for them through the years or try different legal methods if your old proven ways aren't working??? My method for around the last 20 years is pretty much finding or knowing a good spot to sit and blind calling for several hours then moving somewhere else and repeating. Works well most of the time,but might be short changing myself. My Son and I filled 4 tags in 5 days last year with judging by spur length were at least 3 year or older birds. This year my son shot his youth season bird,I could only hunt 1 day and early morning of the second day and passed on a jake,then 4th season so far my son shot his 4th season bird on the first morning and we hunted 2 more days where I could've shot another jake,but gave him a pass as I always do...still some season left...thinking on mixing it up some by doing some walking along and calling sporadically or moving spots more often if he isn't with me. There are times I hear a Gobble in the distance and just sit where I'm at try to call him in when somethings telling me to close some distance,but worried about bumping into the ones possibly not gobbling between us and messing good hunting spots all up..I hunt some of the rougher hilly part of Iowa with small fields intertwined with woods...Might get out of the broken record syndrome and explore new avenues. If it doesn't work I can always go back to what's worked pretty good over the years..

LaLongbeard

To me the whole entire sport of Spring Turkey hunting is finding a gobbler ,by roosting the night before or hearing one from a listening spot at daylight then moving as close as I can and trying to call him to me. This has never changed I would rather quit turkey hunting than try to turn it into a deer hunt with occasional calling .There are no doubt easier ways to kill a turkey but I could drive to the store an buy a butterball with no effort envolved I wouldn't do that either.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

fallhnt

I don't roost em. I just show and go in the a.m. Sometimes Easterns don't roost in the same spot, so it's a bust.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

callmakerman

I'll always set up in a known roost area and hunt the first few hours hoping to draw one in. Doesn't always work out and in fact I haven't shot a bird off roost in some time though I have called birds for others that way. After that I will walk and call to other known hang outs and I will set up for an hour or so and if nothing happens move on again. Most of my birds in the last few years have come in the late morning between 9 and 12 as I'm walking and calling. I can't sit in the same spot for more than two hours most days as numb butt gets the best of me.

Bowguy

I also try n roost n that's my fav part of day. But utilizing only this tactic you'd be a one trick pony. Gotta have other options, like running n gunning. Sitting in one spot n rotting or just hoping a quiet bird shows up isn't a method I'd enjoy

mtns2hunt

I like to try different tactics. Ambushing on known travel routes, roosting a bird the prior evening. I blind call during the day. I have had much success spotting Tom strutting out in a field and calling him over to my side of the fence. I have used blinds and decoys early in the season. I like to walk and call along the edge of woods. This has been very productive but sometimes the Turkey ambushes you and its game over. Doing one style to me is boring and counter productive. But soliciting ideas on this forum is a good idea.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Cottonmouth

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on May 06, 2017, 02:54:03 PM
Just curious if members on here stick to the same hunting tactics to bag a Gobbler that has worked for them through the years or try different legal methods if your old proven ways aren't working??? My method for around the last 20 years is pretty much finding or knowing a good spot to sit and blind calling for several hours then moving somewhere else and repeating. Works well most of the time,but might be short changing myself. My Son and I filled 4 tags in 5 days last year with judging by spur length were at least 3 year or older birds. This year my son shot his youth season bird,I could only hunt 1 day and early morning of the second day and passed on a jake,then 4th season so far my son shot his 4th season bird on the first morning and we hunted 2 more days where I could've shot another jake,but gave him a pass as I always do...still some season left...thinking on mixing it up some by doing some walking along and calling sporadically or moving spots more often if he isn't with me. There are times I hear a Gobble in the distance and just sit where I'm at try to call him in when somethings telling me to close some distance,but worried about bumping into the ones possibly not gobbling between us and messing good hunting spots all up..I hunt some of the rougher hilly part of Iowa with small fields intertwined with woods...Might get out of the broken record syndrome and explore new avenues. If it doesn't work I can always go back to what's worked pretty good over the years..
Are you in NW Iowa?  If so, I've hunted there several times. My favorite tactic other that setting up close on a rooster bird is to walk and call every 150 yds or so. I always call before I top a hill because one could be just over the top. Remember to be near a good tree before you call because he may be close and come as soon as you call. Killed alot of birds that way.

1iagobblergetter

Cottonmouth, N E is where I usually hunt. Like posted I've  wanted to close the gap for awhile,but usually have decent success in my style of hunting. I think walking aways and calling would be effective if sitting for awhile don't work. I want to work on being more well rounded at turkey hunting instead of one dimensional. Instead of relying mainly on one style of hunting if that's slow or not working I'm going to try other tactics. Ive never been one to say my way is the only way and appreciate everyones comments...Thanks everyone...                                       

g8rvet

I have two places i hunt that are small acreage.  I can only move a very limited amount on those spots.  I have killed a lot of birds there over the years.  But it can be boring. 

When I hunt a very large public tract, I am much more mobile. If I have info or have roosted a bird, I pick a likely spot to listen, ready to call from that spot if they are close.  If not, I move on one I hear.  If nothing, walking and calling is my preferred method.  Run and gun sounds good, but for me it is really amble and talk.  I go slow and very my calls.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

ilbucksndux

Pre season scouting for me is going out and listening to where and how many are roosted in an area ,or two or three. I like to find out which direction they go. When I hunt the plan/goal is to get as close to a roosted bird as possible and start hunting. If that dont work out I walk and call till I find one that wants to play. Somewhere around 0800-0930 ish Ill sit somewhere I expect them to be and call,and usually after that be on the move again
Gary Bartlow