OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gotta let off some steam...

Started by lightsoutcalls, April 12, 2011, 09:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

O.k.  -  You have a customer order 2 calls from you in the thick of the callmaking season with a value of $100.  You promise a turn around time of about a week and he says he is sending a money order.  The calls are finished and sit in a shipping box, ready to go for 2 weeks. No payment, no email, no anything...   Another 2 weeks later, a month after his last contact with you, he wants to know if the calls are ready... 3 weeks after they were promised and a month after payment was to be sent...  

Sorry to say, but those calls have other owners already.  Working a full time job, a part time job and making calls in all of my "spare time" I just can't sit on calls for a month.  I love to build calls for folks that want to use them, but I do it to pay the bills too.  I may have to re-think my mindset of money orders...  possibly make the calls up AFTER the money orders arrive...

Input?  
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

letinmfly

You've answered your own question Wendell.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

a-j calls

Been there, went through that...I only accept checks or postal money orders, money first make calls after, no communication no problem, ...NO CALL.
I like you and the rest do our best to be as efficient and on time as we can be.
And like you I love to make calls, but also depend on the call sales to a point.

MarkJM

I would have them pay before, but I just dont know how long after the payment I could have a call made. I dont like to keep them waiting and waiting. So I make the call first and then have them pay. WHen I get more established i'll have them pay first.
MuellerCustomCalls

kenturkey89

Quote from: MarkJM on April 12, 2011, 11:11:49 AM
I would have them pay before, but I just dont know how long after the payment I could have a call made. I dont like to keep them waiting and waiting. So I make the call first and then have them pay. WHen I get more established i'll have them pay first.

Same here!
Brian

sugarray

As a consumer, there is nothing wrong with how you handled the situation and it was really great you held them as long as you did.  Unfortunately, this hurts those of us that live by our word and when we say the money is on its way, its on it way.

lightsoutcalls

The gentleman responded to my email about the calls.  He is sending payment with the understanding that it may take a few weeks to get the calls turned around and out the door.  

I do like to get orders out as quickly as possible and have been known to finish a striker late at night or before I get ready for work just to get an order out in a timely manner.  
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

culpeper

Wendell, I am in agreement with you and Andy...I wait until the check or postal money order arrives and clears and then I send the call--the customer knows this when they order.  I also tell them they have 2 weeks after the date they say the check has been mailed, if it isn't received for typical reasons excluding something odd within that time, then the call is up for sale to anyone else--I know I can always sell it elsewhere.  I don't sign the call until the check arrives, this way it is available to others if need be.  My word that the call will be made stands and I expect the customer to uphold their end as well.

Cut*N*Run

Even though Paypal cuts into profits with the fees, it's so much cleaner. There's no "he said, she said" with payment and the delivery confirmation is automatic when you print the shipping label.

I would insist that all money orders be sent with a delivery confirmation number.

TarheelTurk

Wendell,  I beleive you handled the situation very professional. You more than held up your end of the deal & cant blame you for finding some new owners for the calls. Jason
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

Yelper

Wendell,

Just wanted to say thanks for getting my calls turned in less than 2 weeks. I posted a shout out for you on the turkey calls forum. Keep up the good work and those who appreciate you and the time it takes to get the job done will let you know.

Yelper

Huntsville, Alabama

nx95240

Quote from: a-j calls on April 12, 2011, 11:03:04 AM
Been there, went through that...I only accept checks or postal money orders, money first make calls after, no communication no problem, ...NO CALL.
I like you and the rest do our best to be as efficient and on time as we can be.
And like you I love to make calls, but also depend on the call sales to a point.

money first is what i do to..  .

pappy

Wendell, I have been where you are in this situation, I too, felt like I had to try to please everyone, but I found a lot of folks do not appreciatet the time or work involved with this callmaking, especially if it is not a full time thing. Therefore they tended to be late on payment, or just not send any at all...and no contact was or would be made on the call. It is HARD to sit on a couple of calls, especially during this time. Now I openly communicate with each customer and request they use Paypal, it is a hastle with the charges, but it is clean. If they are not willing or can't do paypal then I request the money order or cash up front and the call will go into production after it is recieved. It may sound harsh, but it is getting harder to keep up with calls headed out much less those that are sitting in the shop.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

ccleroy

To all you guy using Paypal,get your customers to send the funds as a Paypal Gift,this does not cut into your funds......just some helpful insight.

Ricky

CallMaker

I've been there too.  I only accept paypal or cash up front.  I have never had a problem since I started doing that.
Steven