OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which tree do you set up by?

Started by Chris O, May 04, 2017, 01:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildTigerTrout

For safety reasons I sit in front of any tree that is wider than my shoulders.  It keeps me from getting shot from behind by some numb skull!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Erno86

For hunters safety...I'd at least prefer a vertical tree that would cover the width of my body; unless circumstances would prevent me from doing so.

The bigger the tree, the bigger the chance that it might harbor a raccoon or a possum den. Turkeys might be aware of the locations of such dens and slightly avoid them; except maybe during the fall nut mast. Though... on my first day this spring, had me --- unknowingly --- sitting under such a den tree {42" white oak}, that had a cavernous opening in the tree about 15 feet up. When first light came...I noticed fresh possum or raccoon droppings to the right an left of me while sitting --- That's when I looked-up, an saw the opening --- But I stilled bagged my tom from it @ 7am with a 20 yard shot.

Owl and hawk nest locations...would also be a no-go roost location for turkeys.

ilbucksndux

I like a tree that is at least as wide as my shoulders. Not really for safety but to break up my out line. Blow downs are great especially a fresh one with a few leaves on it. I tried a chair for the first time(well really second I guess.I last year I hunted with a guy that had 2 and I used one of his)  and I really liked it. I got one of the cheap ones that was on sale at Walmarx. A couple of days when I knew I was going to be sitting in one spot I took it with me and it really helped me to be more comfortable,but it was like carrying 2 guns
Gary Bartlow

Chris O

Thanks for the replies I have sat by more than one coon den also it always makes it interesting,but I would rather deal with them than a skunk or badger living in the brush pile I'm sitting in

TauntoHawk

Set up where I need to be, not worried about birds out thinking or reasoning me. Sometimes they just don't come and we make intricate excuses for them
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dutch@fx4

I use a turkey chair and set up at least 10 to 15 yards inside the woods never on the field edge.

Chris O

Quote from: dutch@fx4 on May 14, 2017, 07:27:09 PM
I use a turkey chair and set up at least 10 to 15 yards inside the woods never on the field edge.
Yeah I don't like to be on the very edge either. I think WKyhunter described what I was trying to say the best about not picking the tree that catches my eye. Thanks for all the replies.

Chris O

I think I may have to try a turkey chair a little though after the recommendation from some of you.I know it would be nice for coyote hunting as well