turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which tree do you set up by?

Started by Chris O, May 04, 2017, 01:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris O

I hunt some pretty pressured birds and I know I have sat at the same nice big tree to call as other people have.Now I find myself trying to avoid those nice big trees on the edge of a clearing because I think some birds associate them with danger.I may be close to those trees but I would rather be 20 to 30 yds away from them.Am I thinking too much into this or has anyone else noticed this. Thanks for your suggestions.

fallhnt

Set up where your outline is broken up

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

guesswho

Depends on where the tree is at for me.    I'd rather have a smaller tree in what I think is a more likely killing spot than a big tree in a spot where I think he would be less comfortable coming too.   What looks good to you sitting down looking towards where you expect him to approach from may not look near as good from his perspective coming in. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

WV TURKEY THUG

Never heard of or seen birds associating trees with danger before.

Double B

I'll use blowdowns when available in the woods.   I agree some pressured birds get in trash or use terrain to check and double check for hunter vs hen in certain setups if they come in at all.   Most hunters sit against big diameter trees......I found a nice striker last weekend in a cleared out spot.   Horizontal with some larger limb trash is kind of what I've been looking for ideally, but settle for the best available in the moment of need.   If you use a lower limb of a big stable blowdown it covers pretty well. Just my .02 good luck with em! 
Followed by buzzards

3bailey3

I have gone a turkey chair and I like a blow down or even tall brush or grass, don't need a tree with the chair.

mtns2hunt

I think birds will associate a certain tree or blow down with danger if flushed or they pick you off. However, I will abandon such a spot for a few days or set up 50 or 60 yards away. Seems to work but I also usually work sections of terrain intermitantly to try and keep the pressure to a minimum.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: 3bailey3 on May 04, 2017, 03:45:41 PM
I have gone a turkey chair and I like a blow down or even tall brush or grass, don't need a tree with the chair.

I too often use a Turkey chair. However, I like a big tree when posible to protect my back. I have an aversion to lead poisoning. There was a video posted on this forum about a hunter getting shot. Now the video may or may not have been fake but it does demonstate the danger of leaving your back exposed. I believe they were sitting in a blow down.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Chris O

Thanks for all the input so far. I have never thought about a chair who makes the best one in your opinions? I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying. I know not all turkeys are going around completely avoiding big trees but I have had a couple over the years that must have been messed with by someone in the same places that I call from.Some of the places I hunt are wooded cattle pastures with a nice long ridge running through it that you can stay on top of and call blind from .So some of the bigger trees are in prime calling spots.

3bailey3

My chair is made by Browning, Midway USA has some on their website and the NWTF store have several kind on their website

Happy

That's one of the reasons I try hard to stay in shape.  Smaller trees are a viable option.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

compton30

Similar to my archery preference, I like a tree with gnar and multiple trunks shooting up. Just seems to break up my outline better.

wkyhunter

I generally try not to set up at the biggest tree. Maybe it's just me, but I try to think about which trees my eyes are naturally drawn to and avoid those.

Chris O

Quote from: wkyhunter on May 05, 2017, 05:58:22 AM
I generally try not to set up at the biggest tree. Maybe it's just me, but I try to think about which trees my eyes are naturally drawn to and avoid those.
thats what I am starting to figure out thank you

g8rvet

My nephew and I both killed hard hunted, midseason birds on public land sitting near the same tree about 3 years apart. No telling if someone had sat there before or not.  What I do know is that there were tracks, strut marks and nearby gobbling birds on both mornings, so we ended up using the same tree.  What was odd about mine is that I was set up there because there was a bird about 100 yards from the tree. talked to him, but he lost interest.  2 hens came from across a nearby field to him, but they had a gobbler in tow that I had heard gobble maybe three times on the limb that morning.  He took a truck ride.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.