OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Remington 887 Nitro Mag DU Edition  (Read 3066 times)

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
Remington 887 Nitro Mag DU Edition
« on: May 01, 2017, 09:46:28 PM »
Recently picked up the Special Purpose 870, patterned it at 30 but just missed two days ago with it at about 50. It was a long shot, but I honestly feel I should've killed that bird, even though I probably just shot high. So back to the Remington 887 Nitro Mag that I've killed two birds with this season. I didn't like it as much because it was black and shiny but boy does it shoot. So I decided to buy a couple rolls of HS Mossy Oak Xtra Green No-Mar Vinyl Tape and put the turkey choke from the 870 on the 887. Coming together, hoping to lay the smack down in Missouri still and in Nebraska late season.

Offline coonhunter

Re: Remington 887 Nitro Mag DU Edition
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 08:15:21 AM »
Looks good.  I'm glad you like it.  I looked at the 887 once I personally thought it was the ugliest thing I had ever saw.  That's why they make different guns for different people!  So what shell are you shooting and how does it pattern?   
Joshua 24:15

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
Re: Remington 887 Nitro Mag DU Edition
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 02:09:13 AM »
I'm not gonna lie, it was pretty ugly before, I actually like it now though. I did my best to get the tape into all the textures of the gun, but it made them more subtle because 1) it's camo, and 2) the tape isn't perfect no matter how hard I hit it with a blow dryer and credit card. I've been shooting MagShok 3 1/2" 5s. Killed two this season, I actually dropped a bird cold with it this morning, but it turns out to be a gut wrenching story. I had the birds strutting in the field I wanted to set up before it was even shooting time it was co clear and light early. I was going for comfort here, lounger and gun, no decoys, he's a smart bird that's been evading my decoys. So I set up back into the timber and after insane amounts of gobbling, at 10 o clock he finally snuck in on me and I dropped him cold thirty steps no flop. I stand up fold up my lounger walk over there and the bird is absolutely nowhere to be found, and a mere two neck feathers were on the ground. What I thought was his trail, went into flooded timber, I circled the area for an hour, and I know I killed that bird, I'm just not going to be able to recover him. It was the best morning I've had all spring, that quickly turned into one of my least favorite experiences as a hunter.