OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How many keep tinkering after season is over  (Read 5411 times)

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: How many keep tinkering after season is over
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 01:22:09 PM »
Do you all tinker more with different shell's or chokes or gun's or all of the above?

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 05:40:22 PM »
Do you all tinker more with different shell's or chokes or gun's or all of the above?
Mostly shells for me. Though I do have 5 turkey chokes for the Nova.  :z-guntootsmiley:
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2017, 09:46:49 AM »
Both

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2017, 10:09:11 PM »
Looking for some suggestions on some different things to try. I have 3 dedicated turkey guns only the last on th list sees much action anymore though. Just looking for suggestions of different  choke and or shells to maybe try. Let me state that I don't count pellet holes in paper just look for good clean killing hunting patterns out to 40 yards. This is a list of gun's choke and shell combos that I found give me a hunting pattern I look for.

Remington 11-87 SPST 21" VR
Choke Rhino Gen. 1 .660
Shell  Nitro H321A 3" 2oz. 6

Remington 870 SM SPST 26"
Choke Rhino Gen. 1 .670
Shell Nitro H517 3.5" 2 7/16oz. 5x6x7

Remington 870 SM SPST Max Turkey  23"RS
Choke Rhino Gen. 1 .660
Shell Nitro H321A 3" 2oz. 7

I guess you can see a pattern here  LOL

I am not ready to roll my own TSS at this time. But I'm definitely open to suggestions on something that you feel might be worth trying.

Offline Double B

• Longbeard
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2017, 02:54:11 PM »
I'll be tinkering with a Winchester pump when I get the barrel back.   Have an old 21" smooth bore slug barrel getting threaded and choked.  Need to check and rework the sights and start testing. 
Followed by buzzards

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2017, 05:12:54 PM »
Doing some old school testing with a 26"bbl Remington 870 barrel on my 870/ Double beads. Has Hastings CT -2/ Tru Choke threads. Shooting Kicks .655, .660, and Hastings non-ported .665. Patterning with the Winchester standard Pb loads in 5's and 6's (HV, Super-X, XX). Barrel has been polished and the action has been cleaned up. I would imagine it will end up with .655 and 6's turning the best hunting pattern.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 06:21:02 AM by Longshanks »

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2017, 10:57:18 PM »
I tinkered with different loads & chokes for a few years until I found a great set up.  There may be a better one out there, but I've got a killer combination that does exactly what I need it to every time I pull the trigger.   I shoot a few rounds of different makes before the season starts just to do it.  I hunt with what works best.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.