OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How many keep tinkering after season is over  (Read 5413 times)

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
Re: How many keep tinkering after season is over
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 03:47:38 PM »
Until last spring yes. I was always trying new shells and chokes but am currently VERY happy with a .675 Indian Creek and 2.5oz of TSS.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 10:12:58 AM »
My guns are set up to shoot HTL. Like to shoot lead loads through those guns to see if I can find a second or third shell that will pattern well. Sometimes will hit a combination that works and keeps the gun from being a one shell gun. Also can use shells for hunting that would otherwise sit in the cabinet.
  yeah finding a good backup shell is nice...especially if you see a nuisance animal and you don't want to burn the #1

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 12:59:53 PM »
Never after season is over...i'm more interested in getting food plots and my hunting ground ready for fall...Now doing the cooler summer days we do a little shooting, fishing and lot's of cold beer drinking...

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 12:33:42 PM »
That box in the middle with Winchester written on it..3" 1 3/4 6's is a turkey killer. Shoots well out of my 870 21" bbl/ Hevi 13 Choke .662. Gun shoots great with Hevi 13 3/2/7's and is a 35yd gun with the lead load. 35 yds in..it will put them down. Has more room for error with the lead. When I guide or take folks not experienced with turkey hunting I will put the Win 6's in the barrel.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 04:49:01 PM »
Tinker is in my blood on everything, so turkey guns really fill the bill nicely. In the process of setting two up with different sighting systems and another with a different scope. May have to find a different choke or two for my Mossy 500 as well.   :popcorn:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
How many keep tinkering after season is over
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 04:53:30 PM »
I daydream about Tinkering but it's rare I get to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 05:32:11 PM »
Never after season is over...i'm more interested in getting food plots and my hunting ground ready for fall...Now doing the cooler summer days we do a little shooting, fishing and lot's of cold beer drinking...
I'm on this train. I tinker but always before the season. There's a whole bunch more (seasons) coming up that need tinkering. By this time of year I'm shooting a bow a bunch normally in prep for fall bow seasons. I never do stop running calls though, I kinda like that

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2017, 06:00:53 PM »
That box in the middle with Winchester written on it..3" 1 3/4 6's is a turkey killer. Shoots well out of my 870 21" bbl/ Hevi 13 Choke .662. Gun shoots great with Hevi 13 3/2/7's and is a 35yd gun with the lead load. 35 yds in..it will put them down. Has more room for error with the lead. When I guide or take folks not experienced with turkey hunting I will put the Win 6's in the barrel.
My 870 named "Old Faithful" loves the Winchester Supreme #5's  30 yard smackdown beak breaker

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2017, 10:47:38 PM »
My 870 named "Old Faithful" loves the Winchester Supreme #5's  30 yard smackdown beak breaker

That gun and shell have probably killed more turkeys than any other combination out there.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 04:52:40 AM by Longshanks »

Offline Swampchickin234

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2017, 11:32:54 PM »

That gun and shell have probably killed more turkeys than any other combination out there.
I woudk agree to that statement.  There's been a bunch of birds due to that.

Offline Swampchickin234

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2017, 11:34:20 PM »
By the way bugman, that picture looks like my yard.  My blessed mother constantly throws a fit.

Offline foxred1962

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 06:29:24 AM »
Always... and this forum doesn't help lol always reading about new shells/chokes.. ordered tss #8 to try from apex... its just fun to shoot and count its a break from the honey do list.

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 07:37:19 AM »
That was me for years just kept trying and spending money. TSS put a very fast stop to that. Well not the spending money part...
Don't gobble at me...

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 08:44:26 AM »
By the way bugman, that picture looks like my yard.  My blessed mother constantly throws a fit.

I just mow right through them...sounds like music to my ears! :fud:

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 09:36:02 AM »
Always tinkering with something. With my Nova 12ga I found 6 different solid 40 yrd loads with 2 chokes. 11-87 20ga has 3 solid 40 yrds with 1 choke. Now working on a Win 1300 12ga.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott