OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many keep tinkering after season is over

Started by tha bugman, May 01, 2017, 05:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

I love looking for the optimum load in guns so I am constantly shooting throughout the year.  Sure I have patterns that will kill, but its my hobby that I love!

Izzyjoe

Not me, I believe what my Granddad told me, if it's not broke don't fix it! But it is fun to try out different loads in a new gun, but now the shelves are bare of turkey loads, have been for a few weeks. I've not seen those turkey thugs in a few years, so I'm hanging on to what I have.

Happy

Never got into it myself. Just make sure my gun is on and go hunt. I guess I am just cheap and I like the combo I have so I don't see the point in experimenting

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Ericbrooks

Quote from: Happy on May 01, 2017, 08:52:58 PM
Never got into it myself. Just make sure my gun is on and go hunt. I guess I am just cheap and I like the combo I have so I don't see the point in experimenting

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
You do more than me!
I put shells in my gun and go hunt!
Been several years since I've had a miss. Killed at 55 this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC0331

I'm always testing loads, shotguns, chokes , sights  and factory ammo. Will be working on a 20 guage bps soon as well as some of the new red dot optics that will be out soon.

Boilermaker

I enjoy testing new loads and trying to improve my guns at the end of each season.  I learned a lot about my guns this year by testing a few new chokes and testing some new factory loads.  I do think this year I will focus on setting up a 20 gauge dedicated Turkey gun.  I am definitely interested in less recoil with comparable performance!!  So yea you can say I enjoy tinkering!

Tail Feathers

Found shell and choke combos for all my guns that make 'em in to solid 40 yard killers and I don't do much tinkering any more.
Perfection will never be achieved, outside Guess Who's perfect target, so why chase the impossible? :toothy12:

Some of the old timer's here may be able to pull up Guess Who's "perfect" pattern target thread.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mtns2hunt

I like to tinker with my loads. Will try a few new chokes and shell combinations. Also work on my muzzle loader. Was sub MOA but grouping expanded to 1.5. Think it is the bullet lots or powder: will tinker to find our. Will also work on a 257 Weatherby that's at 2 MOA. Killed a mule deer and antelope with it but not satisfied. Also plan on doing some longer range work with my 300 Rem ultra mag. Who has time not to tinker. New seasons will be here before you know it. Plus my 30-06 is not up to standard. Did I say I handload all my ammo but shotgun shells, so need to work up some better loads. Tinkering, its really a major overhaul. Plus I have a ton of neglected honey do chores. I am already in a panic as Fall seems to right around the corner ;D already!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Cottonmouth

As far as turkey loads, I'm done. I may test pattern once before the season opens, but that's all. Been shooting the same gun for 9 yrs and I have complete confidence in it.

yelpaholic

Got on the tss train this year with a little 20 guage that stuff is a show stopper.. :OGturkeyhead:

Swampchickin234

Yep all the time.   I keep patterning turkey shells and start extensively testing waterfowl loads before it gets to hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

Tom Foolery

I like to tinker but I pretty much only tinker with lead. 

I shoot the H13 7's from my 12 and the Fed 7's from my 20 gauge.  In the off season I try to find them on sale so I can snag a couple boxes and put them up. 

tha bugman

Quote from: Tom Foolery on May 02, 2017, 10:21:44 PM
I like to tinker but I pretty much only tinker with lead. 

I shoot the H13 7's from my 12 and the Fed 7's from my 20 gauge.  In the off season I try to find them on sale so I can snag a couple boxes and put them up.
As you can see from the boxes in my pic lead is usually what I have alot of what I have laying around! Especially since Hevishot started  ;D

Longshanks

My guns are set up to shoot HTL. Like to shoot lead loads through those guns to see if I can find a second or third shell that will pattern well. Sometimes will hit a combination that works and keeps the gun from being a one shell gun. Also can use shells for hunting that would otherwise sit in the cabinet.