OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Saw gobblezilla this morning  (Read 9245 times)

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Saw gobblezilla this morning
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 10:55:43 PM »
Roost I haven't thought of that. That might actually work.

Offline yelpaholic

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 10:37:35 AM »
remember hearing Preston Pittman  talking about digging a hole in the middle of a pasture before daylight and killing him that morning..

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 01:38:00 PM »
He will have to cooperate to even pull this off. He wasn't there last night or this morning.

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 03:06:44 PM »
remember hearing Preston Pittman  talking about digging a hole in the middle of a pasture before daylight and killing him that morning..

That's exactly where I got the idea from... Preston's prolly told that story thousands of times...

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
Saw gobblezilla this morning
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 11:47:12 PM »
Good lord hope you get a shot at him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WV TURKEY THUG

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 09:20:29 AM »
You might try to roost him the night before then setup close to were he is roosting well before daylight. Decoys may help bring him in.

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 10:28:23 AM »
I tried that for two years. This is when I began to loose my sanity. He would move 200-300 yards during the night. He can spot a decoy as a fake from 200 yards. Doesn't matter brand or expense of decoy. He has only gobbled to two calls. A Clint Corder Osage glass pot and the glass pot that Riley Corder made. He hangs up 150 to 200 yards out and struts then for no apparent reason tucks tail and runs for cover. If I can't get him in the next couple of weeks and am thinking of seeing a psychiatrist.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 02:11:35 PM by reflexl »

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 01:41:01 PM »

I tried that for two years. This is when I began to loose my sanity. He would move 200-300 yards during the night. He can spot a decoy as a fake from 200 yards. Doesn't matter brand or expense of decoy. He has only gobbled to two calls. A Clint Corder Osage glass pot and the glass pot that Riley Corder made. He hangs up 150 to 200 yards out and struts then for no apparent reason tucks tail and runs for cover. If u can't get him in the next couple of weeks and am thinking of seeing a psychiatrist.
crazy freaking bird. Do you not have the right terrain or cover to get ahead of him?

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2017, 02:14:42 PM »
No. he flies at least 100 yards out into the field before landing. He immediately struts. Most of the time when he gobbles all of the birds hens and toms go straight to him like body guards. I have tried to out guess him numerous times as to how he will leave the field. He always goes the other way even if I haven't called.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 02:25:20 PM »
You may as well just go after another bird as you have already lost to this bird. When you start to romanticize a tom it is time to stop hunting him.

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 02:57:33 PM »
I will try to explain what I mean.  You have already lost the edge with this bird cause you have already decided most tactics will not kill the bird, you have written them off.  This bird is like any other, he is there to mate, feed, drink, fight, and sleep.  He has no more reasoning skills than any other bird.  Maybe he was shot at before over decoys so it makes me a bit more skeptical of them, but catch him on the right day at the right time and he will die over them.  You may not want to use decoys to kill him and he will die another way.

You have caused yourself not to trust your gut feeling on what to do with this bird cause you feel he cannot be killed a certain way.  This has made you not make a move as quickly as you thought you should or maybe you did not even try it cause there is no way this bird will die that way. Always trust your gut and if it does not work out then just accept that today he beat you, tomorrow the same thing you did today may work.  Sometimes you have to get unconventional to kill a bird, but always trust your gut and never doubt your tactic.  Once you decide he cannot be killed without some kind of miracle then you will not kill him, been there and done that. 

Go in there and hunt him like any other bird, do not put him on a pedestal.  You can put him on the pedestal after you kill him and tell of all the trails and errors it took to put him down.  He is a turkey, nothing more and nothing less.  Good luck!
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 06:16:02 PM »
Points well taken. I haven't given up on him. Just haven't killed him yet.

Offline TNTRKYHunter

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2017, 09:09:37 AM »
I will try to explain what I mean.  You have already lost the edge with this bird cause you have already decided most tactics will not kill the bird, you have written them off.  This bird is like any other, he is there to mate, feed, drink, fight, and sleep.  He has no more reasoning skills than any other bird.  Maybe he was shot at before over decoys so it makes me a bit more skeptical of them, but catch him on the right day at the right time and he will die over them.  You may not want to use decoys to kill him and he will die another way.

You have caused yourself not to trust your gut feeling on what to do with this bird cause you feel he cannot be killed a certain way.  This has made you not make a move as quickly as you thought you should or maybe you did not even try it cause there is no way this bird will die that way. Always trust your gut and if it does not work out then just accept that today he beat you, tomorrow the same thing you did today may work.  Sometimes you have to get unconventional to kill a bird, but always trust your gut and never doubt your tactic.  Once you decide he cannot be killed without some kind of miracle then you will not kill him, been there and done that. 

Go in there and hunt him like any other bird, do not put him on a pedestal.  You can put him on the pedestal after you kill him and tell of all the trails and errors it took to put him down.  He is a turkey, nothing more and nothing less.  Good luck!

Great post!

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2017, 02:52:02 PM »
This is going to be my last chance of the year to kill Gobblezilla. 4 years chasing him. He has been flying down in a field to the left of this picture. Circled is my ground blind covered with tree branches. I am taking this pic from a gap in the fence that he occasionally crosses. I am going to use decoys just in case he might go for it. Going to trim up the fan to a severe Jake. I am ready to throw anything at this guy. The first mature bird through the gap gets a face full of shot.

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »
Good luck.