OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey blinds for run and gun...  (Read 13558 times)

Offline Sevenyearsandcounting

Turkey blinds for run and gun...
« on: April 28, 2017, 12:12:09 PM »
There's a $24.99 fan blind at field and stream and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it? Seems a reasonable price and seeing as birds love the fields maybe a good investment.

It's the blind with the gun rest built in. Has anyone used one? And did you have any succes?

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 01:48:03 PM »
Haven't used one but I would load up with TSS to make sure you have enough range to get em if they hang up on you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Re: Turkey blinds for run and gun...
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 01:59:14 PM »
Ive been intrigued by the tungsten but I haven't found a good place to buy shells. They weren't selling them loaded yet online last time I looked.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 05:58:15 PM »
I'm not one of the guys totally against blinds but you seriously don't need em  running n gunning once you get a gobble you need to squat imo not set blinds, dekes, Etc. I'd just set against some big tree

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 08:01:58 PM »
Ahh ok. Where I hunt we have a ton of corn fields and open area and the birds have started to use the fields as their primary hangout. Calling birds in the woods has become rarer every season. I just wanted to get something to help me get a bit of an advantage.

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 04:24:19 PM »
Several years ago, I purchased some thin plastic camo with partial cut outs scattered throughout, the kind to let the wind pass on through rather than act as a solid sheet. I took three pieces of 3' sections of river cane and attached it to both ends of a 8' piece as well as one in the middle for a portable, light weight, roll-up blind that I've used when I needed to set-up in a place with no cover out front but with a vegetation back ground. In the past two years, I've successfully used this blind to take gobblers. It also hides any movement such as slate/box calling or moving your shotgun, etc.

Offline Forked lighting

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 10:52:14 AM »
I have one an like it only problem sides are to high to get gun over if he comehard left or right i bought a Amistep throw down blind this year really work good sets up quick an folds up small enogh to go back of vest

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Offline milertyme03

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 12:33:10 PM »
Best one hands down? is made by primos.  Quick easy, and can adjust height with adjustable poles.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Online kjnengr

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 11:56:34 AM »
I have one an like it only problem sides are to high to get gun over if he comehard left or right i bought a Amistep throw down blind this year really work good sets up quick an folds up small enogh to go back of vest

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Forked Lightning, what I've done in the past when using those kinds of blinds is set them up at an angle. Instead of pushing the stakes in perpendicular to the ground, I push them in at a slight angle which will reduce the overall height.  Also if you don't spread the stakes out as far as possible and make the neeting tight, the netting will sag in the middle and will give you a spot to place your gun.  This doesn't work as well if it is windy though.  Or you can just get a taller chair and shooting stick.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 07:33:00 AM »
I'm not one of the guys totally against blinds but you seriously don't need em  running n gunning once you get a gobble you need to squat imo not set blinds, dekes, Etc. I'd just set against some big tree

Got to agree. Running n Gunning  and Blinds don't go together.
Just MHO, been hunting (mostly run n gun) turkeys for 30+ years and have killed several truck loads of turkeys.... you will learn far more about how to hunt (and kill) turkeys by going as light as possible and just hunt. Good luck.

Offline bruce.smith0817

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 10:02:52 AM »
There's a $24.99 fan blind at field and stream and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it? Seems a reasonable price and seeing as birds love the fields maybe a good investment.

It's the blind with the gun rest built in. Has anyone used one? And did you have any succes?
Amerstep throw down blind light fits in vest simple to set up

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 04:20:15 PM »
I run and gun and never use a blind. I try to carry as little as needed. If I'm gonna park my rear on a field I'll bring my pop up dog house blind

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 06:07:31 PM »
If you have big open area's like you said nothing wrong with using a small blind , it up to you what you want to carry.. if i listen to everyone on this forum i never would turkey hunt the right way...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:51:08 PM by Greg Massey »

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 10:43:04 PM »
I use an Ameristep 2 man chair blind and I love it. It weighs in at 16.6 pounds though they make a 1 person version that is only 6 lbs. I am a little gimpy from 2 car accidents and I can still carry it, my gun and my backpack with all my calls and an other pack with 2 decoys in it. I am going to try to get things a little more compact this year though.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:11:30 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline jims

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 10:32:50 AM »
When I first started turkey hunting I bought several blinds.  Some were more mobile than others.  I came to the point that it really wasn't worth carrying them for running and gunning.  It took time to set them up at each spot and the profile spooked the turkeys the other direction. 

With that said, one blind that actually worked right out in the middle of a cornfield and other areas was a ghost blind.   The mirrors are slightly angled towards the ground and reflect what ever vegetation is there.  I had hens come up and purr at their reflection in the mirrors!  They are a pain in the rear when it's windy or if there is dew/frost but other than that they worked pretty well.  They would be bulky to carry around though.  They come in 2 different heights.  It's worth paying a little extra for the taller one.  If interested I can share more details.  My preference is still going blindless for running and gunning!