OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Weird LB Results  (Read 5822 times)

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
Weird LB Results
« on: April 28, 2017, 08:57:59 AM »
Went out to pattern my gun yesterday and had the following happen.
Wanted to test some LB #5 and #6.
My usual Federal #6 worked as needed. Good to 40 yards.
LB #5 Very tight up close (10 yards), slightly bigger than softball at 20 yards, volleyball at 30 yards and very good at 40 yards.

Now the problem was with the LB #6 which I was expecting to be the best of the bunch.
10 yards very tight one hole as with the #5.
20 yards only 8 pellets hit the target........nothing showing on the backer. Couldn't find the wad or anything.
Went straight to 40 yards and only had a stray couple pellets.
Now the weird thing is, I can't find where these are hitting. Not even on the backer, which is about 3 feet by 3 feet. I can't find wads, nothing. It is almost as if they are not loaded. Saturday is opening day for me, so I'll be sticking with my reg. Federal or #5 LB. Need to do more testing and going to open one up and see what I find. Will do at a later date and report back. Anyone hearing of such a problem?

Mossberg 500
12 gauge 3"
Undertaker choke
18" barrell

Very strange, I'll need to explore further.

:newmascot:

Offline coonhunter

Re: Weird LB Results
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 09:43:09 AM »
Are you using a scope or red dot?  Maybe you POI has moved or scope was knocked off??  I's normal to see POI shift but not 3 feet or better!! 
Joshua 24:15

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 09:47:56 AM »
Dead Ringer Beard Buster pen sights.
All other shots were within an inch or 2.
Shot and tried many other loads in the past years and never more than a couple inches.
Anxious to cut  one open.

Offline coonhunter

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 11:35:20 AM »
Got me!  I would cut one open as well....  May need to cut a #6 and #5 to compare?

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 09:26:23 PM »
Oh I am sure they are loaded, just not going where they are supposed to.  Be interesting to see what happens if you try a bigger backer

Offline Buford

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 09:42:18 PM »
Sounds to me like resin is not braking up when the trigger is pulled and choke isn't helping by braking the resin also. Some have brought this up in OG. Allabout shooting suggest using a tighter choke. I would try a tighter choke. It could also make the pattern more open not tighter. Hope you can figure it out and tell us what you find.    Buford

Offline Buford

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 09:47:01 PM »
Try a different brand shell and see if it patterns better. If it does you know the trouble is the shell.   Buford

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 09:12:23 AM »
Try a different brand shell and see if it patterns better. If it does you know the trouble is the shell.   Buford

All other shells, including LB #5, work as expected. Just this box of #6 with this issue. I'll cut one open and take a look inside and do further testing. Just not right now, season started yesterday. Don't want to mess with my gun right now.

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 09:14:19 AM »
Sounds to me like resin is not braking up when the trigger is pulled and choke isn't helping by braking the resin also. Some have brought this up in OG. Allabout shooting suggest using a tighter choke. I would try a tighter choke. It could also make the pattern more open not tighter. Hope you can figure it out and tell us what you find.    Buford

That's along the lines of my thing, but why are the #5 fine and the #6 have issues?

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 09:19:38 AM »
Different resin in the loads, Clark has pointed this out in the past.

Offline coonhunter

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 09:03:47 PM »
Just shot a few #6 today. Shot real good. 3" #6 at 40 yards had 212 in the 10". Sold me on switching from 3 1/2 back to 3".

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 09:13:07 PM »
Different resin in the loads, Clark has pointed this out in the past.

That sounds like a possibility.