OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Slate testing complete...  (Read 1970 times)

Online mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
Slate testing complete...
« on: April 26, 2017, 07:14:17 PM »
Well, sorry it took so long, but had a mess of orders to catch up on.  Anyways, I know alot of guys have been saying
theyre having issues with slate being, "soft" or too much dust comes off when dressing.  Well, I had made a bunch
Of trough calls that I wasn't happy with the sound, so I threw them in the corner of the fire place when I had it stoked
up one night.  Wanted to save the glass and slate.  But didn't know how the heat would effect the slate, either good or bad.
Well, some of this heat treated slate was reused and tested against fresh slate.  I can tell you this, there was no sound
Difference between the two.  There was a difference in the dressing part.  The slate that was salvaged in the fireplace
appeared harder, due to it took a little more effort to dress with scotch bright.  It also produced less dust during the dressing operation.  So, there ya have it. 

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
Slate testing complete...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 12:05:08 AM »
Awesome thanks for sharing. I may try baking some of mine. How long did you leave them? And did you happen to monitor temp?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Online mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
Re: Slate testing complete...
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 06:27:35 PM »
 I got a Kozy fireplace that I installed.  I had to replace all the piping up the chimney with the expensive double walled stuff rated at 5000 degrees.  Let's say it get real hot!  I removed the glass and slate as soon as it was free from the wood.  Which didn't take long.  Temp I'm sure was over 900 degrees.  I doubt an oven will do anything.  You might want to get in touch with someone who fires kilns for ceramics.