OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Late season hunting-much luck?

Started by upnorth, April 26, 2017, 05:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheese Curd

Quote from: upnorth on April 26, 2017, 05:16:11 PM
Have you hunted much at the end of your states season. Some states have seasons the last two weeks of May still. Do they gobble that late still? I also wonder maybe hens are on the nest so Tom's are running around looking a little more?
When do Tom's decide mating season is over? :fud:

I have hunted mid- to late-May in WI for many years and I have tags for the last 2 weeks again this year.  I have been successful in the morning and evening.

They will still gobble but in my experience it is less than earlier in the season. However, some birds will be more vocal than others.

Many hens will be nesting but the toms are still looking for more.

I have seen lone gobblers and small groups of 2 or 3 where I hunt in late May.

Forked lighting

They are still gobblin here in July heard them every year a month after season close,s

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

fallhnt

They gobble all year. Its just communication to them. I hunt hard hunted public and the only thing thats different is they will change roosts almost every night. Keeps you frustrated but its fun when you out smart em.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Brantley

I'm also in Wisconsin and season runs till the 30th of May. I got one Saturday but only heard three gobbles all morning. Same bird gobbles at my fly down cackle and then twice at a hawk screaming. Called in a coyote too so that may have them quiet.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

EKavanagh

After a very fun but frustrating spring, I killed two longbeards in the past 5 days to tag out in the last week of Maryland's season .

Chris O

Our Iowa season is all over now and it seems the birds know it they didn't talk a whole lot the 4th season, but the last few days I've been hearing them gobbling more. I got a new call today and was playing with it outside and one answered me so I thought what the heck I'll try to call him in.So I was in blue jeans so I just through on a camo sweatshirt and headed towards the gobble. I got just inside the tree line and they were on top of the ridge and I was at the bottom of the hill so I knew I didn't have a good set up,but I didn't care because I wasn't trying to kill them. I started calling and they would answer it seemed like there were 3 of them together.What really got them going was a fighting purr. I messed with them for maybe 10 minutes and I finally saw 2 of them coming down the hill at maybe 60yds away and I fumbled around with my phone to try to get a video and they must have seen something they didn't like I didn't have a face mask on I just had my hat and hood on my sweatshirt pulled down tight to try to hide.They just got silent for a little while and moved up the hill a little.They did start answering me again but I just backed out and left. It was just nice hearing them talk and getting a chance to play with them. Man I wish it was still season .