OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Late season hunting-much luck?

Started by upnorth, April 26, 2017, 05:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnorth

Have you hunted much at the end of your states season. Some states have seasons the last two weeks of May still. Do they gobble that late still? I also wonder maybe hens are on the nest so Tom's are running around looking a little more?
When do Tom's decide mating season is over? :fud:

mtns2hunt

I have had luck after the hens have gone to nest. Gobblers are still roaming. I try to ambush them and sometimes get them to come into a call.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

LaLongbeard

I've heard gobbling into May some years but after all the hens are nesting there's little gobbling but they will come to the call.It depends if Spring was early or late as far as duration.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Coop1082

Sunday is the closer in south Alabama. Went to a buddy's club Tuesday morning and had 5 birds around us at first light on the limb hammering. Actually stayed on birds all day until about 1 o'clock, and walked away with a good 2 year old on the ground. It rained at my personal lease this past Sunday, and where there wasn't any good sign last week it is littered with tracks and strut marks. They will still do their thing. They will more then likely still come to calling, rather it be silent or even gobbling. Just depends on the individual bird. I've come to learn that certainty in turkey hunting simply does not exist.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Marc

I duck hunt the same areas I turkey hunt...

There is tons of gobbling in December and January...  By the end of April or beginning of May there is almost none.

When I am hunting with no gobbling, I am at a total loss as to what to do at the end of the season...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

MK M GOBL

I hunt WI from early April till and of May and I/we kill birds from seasons start until seasons end, some of my best birds are killed during the last 2 weeks of our season. I will say they may only be a few hours of good activity in the morning, but with good scouting and knowing those late season birds you can have some luck!

MK M GOBL

WV TURKEY THUG

Late season is usually the best time to hunt here in WV imo.

bpsmag1026

I agree wv turkey thug, I don't even use any vacation days until the 3rd week of the wv season.

slwayne

The last four seasons I have hunted public land during our late season here in Michigan (season runs the last three weeks of May).  I have been able to get on gobbling birds each year and have managed to fill my tag.  One year I filled my tag on the last day of the season and another year it was 2 days before the end but so far I have managed to get it done.  Two times I was done by 8:00 am at my morning set up spot and the other two times they were late morning/early afternoon birds I got while running and gunning.  The two early morning birds came in gobbling like crazy and the two late morning/early afternoon birds were located due their gobbling.  I like the late season here primarily because it is a 3 week season.  I don't have access to private land anymore and if I want to hunt the specific parcels of public land that I like the most then the 3 week late season is the only season that lasts for more than a week (in this particular area the season set-up is three 1-week seasons followed by the 3-week season).  It's hard for me to get out during the week so I need every bit of that 3-week season.   

Dr Juice

Quote from: mtns2hunt on April 26, 2017, 05:30:00 PM
I have had luck after the hens have gone to nest. Gobblers are still roaming. I try to ambush them and sometimes get them to come into a call.
^^^This

Sevenyearsandcounting

Last year opening day two birds called in one missed.....I was so bummed. Three weeks straight one bird called back and then day 22 "gobble gobble gobble!" Bird I had screwed up opening day was there!

Dad and I set back out the next day and boom bird dead. 14 min into the 22nd day of the season my first eastern bird. 23.5 (24 on my scale lol). Beautiful late season tom.

I am of the opinion birds are much more apt to work after the hens are on the nest in our area. We hunt til may 31. Action gets heavy opening weekend dies off 5-7 days in and heats back up to full swing third or so week.

My dad has killed birds on multiple memorial days. Never give up.

g8rvet

In Florida, I killed one gobbling on the 17th, last Wednesday of our season.

I hunted in GA yesterday on a quail plantation - great for turkey management, but very hard to move on the birds as the woods are so open.  We called in 3 jakes off the limb, to about 100 yards and they lost interest (could not see them until they walked off, we were looking at a rise).  There were at  least 4 gobbling birds, heard one gobble about 9 am, but impossible to get ahead of him.  Might try again next week.  This property is 30 minutes north of where I hunt and literally on the FL-GA line. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Geechie

The last week in SC is one of my favorite parts of the season.  The hens are on the nest and the googans have given up and left the woods.

I always go light on the call, cluck and purrs. Most of the times a bird gobbles he's on the way.

They do seem to be a pound or two lighter than the beginning of the season.

nsselle

I will hunt WI again May 11-14 for season D, its pretty late but had a bird come in silent last year and got the job done.  If birds are in the vicinity its worth going out and calling. Heck they barely gobbled on the roost for the WI opener last week and its snowing here today!

renegade19

Illinois season in the South Zone usually ends in early May (4th this year).  I've always had good luck later in the year.  Killed a nice one today that didn't make a sound but they're often very vocal and will run in on a string.  I think weather and where they're at in the breeding cycle determines a lot of it.  Late season is absolutely my favorite time of the year.  Matter of fact, the bird pictured in my profile pic was a 5th season, late bird.  He hammered almost every step while running in.