OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ticks: No one is safe...

Started by Sevenyearsandcounting, April 26, 2017, 03:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

One would think they would be satisfied to crawl up you and just take a little, but no, the vermin just have to spread bad diseases.  It is a turkey hunter's nightmare.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

aclawrence

Just as a follow up from turkey season, I treated my clothes myself with permethrin from the co-op and I was bless not to get a single tick on me this year. I did the same last year and my dad and I went on a hike. He got a few on him and I had none. From my experience I'm going to say the treatment works and I did wash my clothes a time or two during the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twowithone

Made up some homemade brew for ticks used it for spring gobbler no ticks reapplied it for archery season and no ticks yet. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

MickT

I sent some work clothes of to insect shield and it absolutely works and lasts.  I have not retreated anything and I've been pretty much tick free.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: mikejd on May 03, 2017, 12:10:30 PM
Quote from: compton30 on May 02, 2017, 10:31:02 PM
My 6 year old came home with one dug into her right above the ear after school yesterday and I've never been more fearful of those little bastards in my life. Theyre BAD here in PA this year

Go see a doc right away. They can treat with antibiotics early on. Both me and my wife have lyme. It's no fun.

As for prevention. Deet works substantially better then all others.
I have done experiment where I took ticks off of me and put into containers with different products. The ticks wandered around on the  sawyers soaked paper towel for quit a long time before they became disabled. Then I removed them from the sawyers and in time they began to walk again. In the deet they died very fast and never came back.

DEET is a REPELLENT,  not an INSECTICIDE.  It will not kill an insect unless that insect is doused with it to where to oils and alcohol soaks it.  Permethrin is an INSECTICIDE and also a repellent.   It absolutely will kill if present in high enough concentration and will repel as well as long as its present.  Please dont go giving out shoddy information like that.  You're going to get someone in britten at best and sick at worst. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: MickT on May 03, 2017, 09:52:00 PM
Insect shield will treat your clothes with permethrin. Their treatment lasts through 70 washes.

There are absolutely ZERO clothes treatments that will last more than one wash.  You're adding chemicals to the fabric,  not blending it into the fabric and even then permethrin is only viable for approximately 2 weeks once it hits the air and even less in water and sunlight.  Pretty much tick free?  You are either completely tick free or you're getting bit.  Period.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Muzzy61

Mixing your own is cheap and applying is easy. So i apply after every use. May be over kill, but i haven't picked a tick of me here in north florida in years.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

tree-rat sniper

I use the sawyer brand permethrin on my gear.  Every time I go out, I spray the night before. One of my dogs has been lyme positive for several years, last year our neighbor's young sons got it (farm kids that love to wander).  Several years back, I sat in the wrong place and had over a dozen on me...nasty little bastards!
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

Notsoyoungturk

In addition to Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Erlichiosis, Lyme, Anaplasmosis and a host of other illnesses that ticks carry, our area is a hot spot for Alpha Gal Syndrome or "tick bite meat allergy".  If you are bitten by one of these ticks, you can develop an allergy to red mammalian meat.  That means no more beef, venison, rabbit, pork, lamb, etc..  Fortunately, fish and birds are not included.  You develop an allergy to a sugar molecule found in the mammalian meat.  The allergy can range from simple itching to life threatening.  I could not imagine not being able to eat all those meats for the rest of my life.

Good news! Never had any trouble after spraying clothes with Permethrin.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

GregGwaltney

I got Alpha Gal approx. 20-25 years ago, could not eat any mammal meat until about a year ago. It does suck big time, so do be careful. I have used Permethrin liberally for years and not found any ticks on me, I spray my boots and socks too.....I spray everything that goes with me in the woods, and I too have used a camo piece of material to sit on sprayed with Permethrin, sure it helps.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

Bowguy

I use permetherin too and also had Lyme and babesi but that's bad info. I'm sure I didn't  get ticks when using it. I spray my dogs, turkey clothes, mushroom picking clothes, deer hunt clothes, fishing clothes, etc and have never had a single tick on me one time. Tractor supply as well as others sell a concentrate. It works.

Just noticed this was an old thread

austinc

Quote from: Notsoyoungturk on March 03, 2024, 01:05:25 PM
In addition to Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Erlichiosis, Lyme, Anaplasmosis and a host of other illnesses that ticks carry, our area is a hot spot for Alpha Gal Syndrome or "tick bite meat allergy".  If you are bitten by one of these ticks, you can develop an allergy to red mammalian meat.  That means no more beef, venison, rabbit, pork, lamb, etc..  Fortunately, fish and birds are not included.  You develop an allergy to a sugar molecule found in the mammalian meat.  The allergy can range from simple itching to life threatening.  I could not imagine not being able to eat all those meats for the rest of my life.

Good news! Never had any trouble after spraying clothes with Permethrin.

I have alpha gal syndrome,  diagnosed for nearly 2 years now. It's not just an allergy to red meat, it's an allergy to ALL things mammal. I had switch medicines, shampoos, soaps, laundry detergents, drinks, spices, toothpaste and everything else that contained mammal. So far like wool clothing and such doesn't bother me, but I've heard of people with alpha gal having that issue as well.