OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Ticks: No one is safe...  (Read 15072 times)

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Ticks: No one is safe...
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 11:56:32 AM »
My 6 year old came home with one dug into her right above the ear after school yesterday and I've never been more fearful of those little bastards in my life. Theyre BAD here in PA this year

Make sure you call the doctor. Nothing to mess around with and a simple antibiotic will help. Don't wait, the earlier the better.
 :newmascot:

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 12:10:30 PM »
My 6 year old came home with one dug into her right above the ear after school yesterday and I've never been more fearful of those little bastards in my life. Theyre BAD here in PA this year

Go see a doc right away. They can treat with antibiotics early on. Both me and my wife have lyme. It's no fun.

As for prevention. Deet works substantially better then all others.
I have done experiment where I took ticks off of me and put into containers with different products. The ticks wandered around on the  sawyers soaked paper towel for quit a long time before they became disabled. Then I removed them from the sawyers and in time they began to walk again. In the deet they died very fast and never came back.

Offline MickT

Ticks: No one is safe...
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 04:39:21 PM »
I've noticed just the opposite with deet vs permethrin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cottonmouth

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 09:39:31 PM »
Not only Lyme disease but Rocky Mtn spotted fever. My friend's 4yr old son almost died from it. His heart stopped for 30 seconds and they got him back going. I usually stay sick for a couple days after a bite, feels like the flu.

Offline MickT

Ticks: No one is safe...
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 09:52:00 PM »
Insect shield will treat your clothes with permethrin. Their treatment lasts through 70 washes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rifleman

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 09:43:39 AM »
One got on me the latter part of last week.  I felt the itch but the tick was not attached.  Yesterday I went to the doctor as the classic system of the "bullseye" appeared.  Now on a med for 14 days.  I used the spray by Sawyers but somehow it got through, maybe from an untucked shirt.

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 08:11:27 AM »
 I hate these things. I got a suit from elimetick this year. Hope it is as good as I hear.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2018, 09:03:09 PM »
 I'm about to say something. I'm not going to sugar coat it, nor will the folks that disagree with me like the way Im going to say it.

If you think for one damn minute a pretreated piece of clothing you buy or stuff you've sprayed yourself is going to protect you after ONE wash let alone 70, you are about as gullible as they come and I have this pyramid scam you might be interested in.  The  blase' way some of you guys approach this scares me. 

I've had Lyme.   I put me in the hospital and then flat on my back for over a month.  I have been diligent the last decade to say the least on tick prevention,  but I still got got.  I missed one-ONE treatment after two soaking rain hunts and I guarantee you that washed enough permethrine out of the fabric to make it ineffective.   Treat with 0.5%-1% solution and soak your clothing thoroughly.   Deet will repel ticks, but all they'll do is move to a spot you missed and then you're screwed.  The OP is DEAD ON.  Complacency WILL get you bitten, that I promise.  Change somewhere NOT in the house,  bag your treated clothes so any ticks still there die the death they deserve and make sure you do a tick check after.  I even spray my truck seats.  I hang my bird for at least an hour after I get home and believe me!-ibe foumd ticks crawling around on the floor of the garage that dropped off the dead bird.  Believe the advertising,   do it YOUR WAY, be complacent.  Just don't say I didn't tell you...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 12:12:36 AM by mightyjoeyoung »
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 09:31:08 PM »
Probably not a new idea but when I hunt areas I know  ticks are bad I have a piece of camo  cloth about 3 ft square I soak in permithrin and never wash. Keep it in the vest and throw down before I sit down I also spray my clothes but the ground cloth is a little extra help.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2018, 09:46:31 PM »
Probably not a new idea but when I hunt areas I know  ticks are bad I have a piece of camo  cloth about 3 ft square I soak in permithrin and never wash. Keep it in the vest and throw down before I sit down I also spray my clothes but the ground cloth is a little extra help.

That's a good idea.  Just keep it in a ziplock bag.  I have a big bolt of heavy cotton camo cloth I'm gonna have to do that with. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline griffman

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2018, 03:29:35 PM »
I've started to soak my own clothes. 

https://sectionhiker.com/permethrin-soak-method-guide/

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2018, 09:01:41 AM »
Great initial post and f/u s. Bottom line is be VIGILENT. Check outerwear and gear thoroughly and always due a disrobe and body check

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2018, 09:12:23 PM »
Repel is your friend for sure.

Offline Tail Feathers

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2018, 03:40:14 PM »
I have four bites healing now.  Three when bush hogging for deer season.  Dang it.  Protect fellas.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2018, 05:27:27 PM »
I worry about these mostly on my dog which is why I go spend the extra money on tick shots for her. You have to get them the first shot and then a followup I think it is either 1 month or 3 months later. I worry about anything that can may me sick as I don't have a spleen and get sick very easy which is why I don't visit my friends with kids in the winter and always carry some hand sanitizer with me, have a bottle in each jacket every year. I THINK they have a tick shot and have to find out for sure as I am taking my trapping license course on the 22 and will be handling a lot of dead critters.

I have always had real good luck with Backwoods Off, never gotten a tick before but Permethrin is something I should probably look into but worry as I seem to be allergic to many things.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."