turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ticks: No one is safe...

Started by Sevenyearsandcounting, April 26, 2017, 03:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sevenyearsandcounting

I've roamed a few message boards this year and mostly speaking to upstate New York hunters.

Lyme has reached us. I'm one of four hunters that tested positive after last season and I live in a podunk area. I used permethrin. Heavy. I tucked my clothes in and all that. I still got Lyme.

This year I've already found a dozen or so ticks on my boots and my dad had one in his leg. It's bad. We used to have zero. Nothing. Now it's like New Jersey but worse.

So people I beg! 1. Douse clothes in permethrin! Inside pant legs and out! Same with sleeves and collars! Wear baggy clothing you can easily tuck in!
2. Tuck all socks into boots make sure socks are treated too!
3. Have hunting buddy or wife inspect people outer wear for ticks. And have wife or significant other check you.
4. Turn that hot water all the way up and burn the suckers off you.
5. Reapply permethrin every few days. I was applying it weekly it's not enough.
6. Stay safe! Also birds can have ticks on them. Be vigilant while picking. Never know when one will be there.

Sorry if I seem condescending but Lyme took two months or my life away last year and I'm lucky it didn't take more. If you cannot afford to be bed ridden for two months? Take time to keep yourself safe. Trust me you don't want to feel the pain I felt.

mtns2hunt

Good post, them parasites can cause major issues especially if not treated. Lyme disease is no joke. I was treated for it once but am not sure I really had it. Two weeks of iv anti biotics was certanly no fun. I have only had one on me so far this year. I find that deep woods off keeps them at bay. As stated you should check for them regularly. After a couple hours check agian as by this time they have started to embed and are easy to find. Must find them by 6 hours tho as by then they are puking all kinds of toxins into your blood stream. Not sure why but every tick I find on me after a couple hours is dead. I must be toxic to them.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Erno86

I heard that the "Tick Tornado Tick Remover" works pretty good.

mtns2hunt

Just read that a Ticks worst enemy is a possum. Artical stated that they will rid your yard of ticks. Could not find the link I read but here is another link on the virtues of possums. Want more information just google "possums are good."

http://www.caryinstitute.org/discover-ecology/podcasts/why-you-should-brake-opossums

Farmboy27

Quote from: mtns2hunt on April 26, 2017, 06:42:50 PM
Just read that a Ticks worst enemy is a possum. Artical stated that they will rid your yard of ticks. Could not find the link I read but here is another link on the virtues of possums. Want more information just google "possums are good."

http://www.caryinstitute.org/discover-ecology/podcasts/why-you-should-brake-opossums
They are also turkey egg eaters. I think I'll keep killing possums and just check myself for ticks.

TRG3

While my permethrin worked on my hunting clothes, when I changed into some lighter weight shorts and shirt to work in the turkey's fan, I picked up a couple of ticks. You can't be too careful.

upnorth

permethrin is a great tool in helping to prevent getting ticks and than diseases carried by them but I also use deet on areas of my skin where they may attach.
Lymne disease and related diseases are no fun,I know from experience.

ShooterMcGobble

I also hunt in NY (WNY) and have noticed more ticks this year than years' past.

Here is, in my opinion and what others have also stated, the best insect protection to fight off ticks, mosquitos, chiggers, black flies and all those other pesty outdoor-trip ruiners.  Team up Permetherin for clothing application and Picaridin for an all purpose/exposed skin application. 

Permetherin not only can repel, but will kill ticks, mosquitos, etc. given it's an insecticide.  I treat all my outdoor clothing with Permetherin prior to the season, but most importantly, make sure to treat your SOCKS, boots and pants given that ticks will generally always crawl up you. Remember it's only for fabric treatment..don't go spraying your entire body with Permetherin right before you head out!

DEET is known as tried and true but the problem is it's a plasticizer, which can eventually eat away at synthetics and deteriorate some of your expensive gear (not to mention that oh-so-familiar odor).  Picaridin has shown to be just as effective as DEET and is #1 rated for Zika virus but is not a plasticizer and has no odor (it's also not greasy like most DEET products).

I use Cabela's Insect Defense Over the Calf Socks which has Permetherin already built into the fabric. It lasts up to 70 washings as opposed to around 7 washings if you treat your socks yourself.  It also has 60% merino wool which is the best material for an outdoor performance sock (doesn't itch like regular wool, won't get too hot given they're lightweight, does a great job of wicking away moisture and will literally not smell for days-on-end of no washing because it's naturally anti-microbial).  They're a little pricey but well worth it if your looking for a pair of the best socks possible for turkey hunting.  I will still always tuck in my entire outfit as a last line of defense. 

I've used tons of repellents but this has shown to be the ultimate defense so far!  (Btw, both the permetherin and picaridin I use are made by Sawyer)

HFultzjr

Some things I will add.....................
In addition to treating EVERYTHING, be careful of unnoticed "hitch hikers.
Decoys, downed birds, driving with the windows down and branches swiping your vehicle, opening the door for nature's call while parked in high weeds, etc., So many ways for one to hitch hike to your vehicle and get you or someones else later. I hate these things with a passion!
:newmascot:

upnorth

We also wear like 16 inch rubber boots which help tremendously.

slicksbeagles1

I have heard that you can sprinkle borax on the ground and is suppose to take care of ticks after reading I think I will start carrying some and putting on ground where I sit time permitting

mtns2hunt

Sat in wrong spot this morning. Been there about 20 minutes and felt a tick on my wrist, then one on my face. Turned out I was covered in them. Flicked off about twenty and flushed 5 once i got home. Nasty buggers!

Red Huck

Quote from: mtns2hunt on May 01, 2017, 03:27:08 PM
Sat in wrong spot this morning. Been there about 20 minutes and felt a tick on my wrist, then one on my face. Turned out I was covered in them. Flicked off about twenty and flushed 5 once i got home. Nasty buggers!
That gives me a creepy crawly feeling. Have not found any on me since I started threating my hunting clothes with permethrin and wearing snake boots.

Strutr

I already got bit by a tick in late February here in northern Illinois.  This is the earliest I've ever seen a tick in this part of the country.  Probably an indication that this will be a rough year for battling these little critters.

While hunting, I always tuck my trousers into my boots and have had pretty good success keeping them off my bottom half with this method.  However, since we spend a lot of time sitting on the ground, keeping them off the top half is a real challenge.  Last I knew, Permetherin was considered the best treatment by the military. 

compton30

My 6 year old came home with one dug into her right above the ear after school yesterday and I've never been more fearful of those little bastards in my life. Theyre BAD here in PA this year