OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Maximum lethal range of LBXR 20 gauge  (Read 19305 times)

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Maximum lethal range of LBXR 20 gauge
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 02:03:43 PM »
Correct and pattern fails before penetration when using adequate shot for your game.
As useing 4 lead your pattern would fail before penetration, at some distance  Seems as for that saying to work you use a larger shot size for your game , if large enough shot size is used your pattern will be failing before your shot runs out of penetration for that game bird

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 02:25:07 PM »
Which is the whole issue with sniping of turkeys. I will not open the can of worms as to where it becomes sniping, but #9 TSS absolutely will run out of neither pattern nor penetration before the shot distance becomes, in my humble opinion, unethical.  Just because someone CAN shoot them at that distance does not mean they SHOULD. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline dutch@fx4

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2017, 07:22:53 PM »
12 or 20  don't matter a #5 pellet traveling at 1000 fps is the same. Pattern will fail before Penatration

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2017, 05:59:37 PM »
12 or 20  don't matter a #5 pellet traveling at 1000 fps is the same. Pattern will fail before Penatration
But only if you are talking about standard turkey loads.  And just because a pattern does not fail, does not mean the shot is ethical.  But we already covered all that. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2017, 07:26:02 PM »
Lead 9's will destroy a gobbler's head at 20 yards and then some (I don't recommend them though, better, tighter patterns can be had at distance with heavier shot which will fly straighter with slower spread from center) - Pattern failing before penetration.
Check with some of the guys who have killed with 7 1/2 shot at beyond 40 yards  before you make an uneducated comment doubting lead 9's at 20 yards. Anyone remember the Federal 3 inch 2 ounce load of 7.5 shot.  Yep pattern fails before penetration with them as well.

It doesn't matter how far the shot penetrates a piece of gel. The figures you are looking at are only averages anyway. The striking pellets in the center of your pattern are rounder, less deformed and hit harder than "average". Not to mention the fact that the pellets in the rear of the load push the leading pellets deeper and deeper resulting in more penetration.  The only thing that matters is what they do to a gobbler's head.  Not much protection on the ol' head and upper neck.

Pattern fails before penetration.  But if you don't believe me you can always keep relying on energy charts, foot pounds, velocity data, ballistic gel penetration, penetration of plywood, cardboard backing, soup cans, loblolly pine trees, sheets of tin or any other irrelevant information that gives you confidence in your shell.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2017, 11:04:57 PM »
You know all this about pattern fails before penetration that I can find information on is a condition that the shotgun shooter creates by using a specific shot size for the game he is hunting . Any reference I find from any writing also stated that you use a shot size with enough energy for the game you are shooting  You want your pattern to fail before penetration. Now these conditions are based of as early of writing as 1900 or so. Mostly refers to bird and waterfowl hunting. No one writing said anything about this being an automatic condition no matter what you shoot.
Now some seem to think that happens no matter what you shoot or twist it around to meet their needs.
You want your pattern to fail before penetration as this would insure that you are useing a large enough shot size with sufficient energy at the distance you plan to shoot. 
By using to small of shot you reverse the conditions.
The wild turkey hunter who has a few seasons behind them has some experience and those he knows has some more. Many of us have had a lot of shotgunning experience on birds ,waterfowl, rabbits and squirrels that taught us about what loads killed good and what did not.
Funny thing though I don't remember or know off anyone that made their shotgun load decisions off a a nifty little saying such as PATTERN fails before PENETRATION!
Although a lot of what we used could have followed that saying or not.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2017, 02:12:31 PM »
Not to mention the fact that the pellets in the rear of the load push the leading pellets deeper and deeper resulting in more penetration.

LMAO.  WTH?  Are you saying the pellets in the rear of the load "stack up" and push the front pellets further into the wound channel (or gel channel)?  Or are you saying that the pellets in the rear of the load have a charge in them that goes off like a booster rocket and bumps in to the pellets in front and push them faster down range?  That is funny right there.    I could explain why that is incorrect, but you already know everything, so would be a waste of time.  Just go out there and shoot whatever and however you want and preach to who ever will listen.  I don't think you have a basic grasp of physics, but fortunately for you, the people figuring out the lethality of modern loads do, so just grab a box and hunt. Smart people have done the work for you. 

Offline Rockhound

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2017, 10:47:36 PM »
I got around 130 in the 10 at 40 with the 5s

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2017, 10:04:16 AM »
Develop a solid pattern to 40yds with 20guage Longbeard 5's or 6's and all will be fine. No need to push past 40.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2017, 01:42:08 PM »
I got around 130 in the 10 at 40 with the 5s
good stuff there!  As Long shanks said 40 and closer and your good to go.

Offline pinch

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2018, 07:32:42 AM »
I shot my SA 20 @ 40yards with a tight wad .570 with 3" #5 long beards and watched the wad bounce off my target. I was impressed with the pattern but it impacted low. Definitely a effective 40yard killing pattern, I didn't count pellet holes.

Offline longbow2240

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2018, 09:27:41 PM »
I shot some LB 6’s today out of my 21” 870 with a Jebs .555.

At 20 yards

At 40 yards