OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New Grand Slams  (Read 10233 times)

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: New Grand Slams
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 09:34:58 PM »
Finally got to shoot today. Shot several dove loads to get the scope that I put in the gun hitting right. Shot several turkey thugs in 5s and sixes. They did ok. got 108 with 5s and 115 with 6s. Those were the best Patterns I got with thugs and both of those were with the Sumtoy 665. Bore snaked between shots. Then I shot the Grand Slams. Shot 1 six and my scope base came loose. That One shot sounded louder and recoiled as bad as any round I have ever shot. Was even noticeable with a lead sled. Got 108 with that pattern high and left. Will have to remount the scope and start over. The Grand Slams were huntable but not great but gun was dirty and don't know if any of my tighter chokes will do better. Will shoot them again later.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:32:39 PM by tnanh »

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 09:45:40 PM »
Took scope off. Two back screws were completely stripped out. Sfter I get it fixed I will shoot it again or maybe in my 870.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 09:26:54 AM »
I have a couple ventilator chokes. Probably the BEST factory turkey choke made.  If you can get those new loads to pattern, it'll likely be with that choke.
+1  When someone told me to try this choke I was..."yeah right...aint seen a factory choke perform that well...."  I ate those words with The Ventilator!

Offline Izzyjoe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 08:03:14 PM »
It's been many years ago, but a good friend had a ventilator choke that he used in his 870. I recall not being overly impressed with the patterns, and he was shooting Rem nitro mags. But he went ahead and used it anyway, cause that was all he had, but he killed a few birds with that setup before he traded it off.

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 12:51:28 PM »
It probably was not the choke but the nitro mags. When we first started turkey hunting my son shot an 870 with a 28inch barrel. He killed several turkeys with Remington Nitros and a Jelly head 660. Patterns were marginal at best but he killed turkeys with it.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 12:21:33 PM »
It probably was not the choke but the nitro mags. When we first started turkey hunting my son shot an 870 with a 28inch barrel. He killed several turkeys with Remington Nitros and a Jelly head 660. Patterns were marginal at best but he killed turkeys with it.

Agreed.   The only good Remmy loads imo were the old, olive drab geen NWTF realtree camo box premires.  Those were true turkey hammers.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 01:13:56 PM »

Agreed.   The only good Remmy loads imo were the old, olive drab geen NWTF realtree camo box premires.  Those were true turkey hammers.
I have one left and I am hanging on to it for the memories!

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 01:24:25 PM »

I have one left and I am hanging on to it for the memories!
Haha. I have a few boxes laying around.  Keep em for the memories too I think...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 09:55:56 PM »
Another reminder of how many turkey loads I have around,have 4x6's and 5's left .

Offline Izzyjoe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 10:20:11 AM »
Yes they are terrible, I learned from patterning them. Walmart here don't even stock those nitro's anymore, now that Lb's came out!