OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Who has killed with Thugs?  (Read 14174 times)

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
Re: Who has killed with Thugs?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 11:35:49 PM »
...No proof but a buddy told me he read somewhere they have went to crap this year, lots of complaints...

THIS ^^^ is why I tend to stockpile certain ammunition like a maniac.  ;)

Offline NYlogbeards

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 01:26:43 AM »
Was looking to buy a few boxes, haven't had the chance but in recent years there were piles of that stuff, now the only thing they have stocked at Walmart are the Strut Shok and good ol' Win XX also the Rem Nitro isn't at my Walmart this year, it seems like Walmart is down grading its sporting selection for Hunters again, not that there wasn't much to begin with but there aren't any spring jackets or turkey vest also the Call selection is a bust this year had a few problems getting my License too, getting tired of Walmart's crap.

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 10:34:57 PM »
I've killed birds last two years with them. 20 GA 1 1/4 #5s. Bought box of strut shok at wally world this year. Patterned the same. On bottom of Turkey thugs box it says strut shok. 119 in 10" at 35 yards with undertaker non-ported choke. :jesus-cross:
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline Mowoodsman

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 01:41:57 PM »
Good load for the price.  From my understanding, they're just strut-shoks in a different box.  I use the 3 1/2 inch #5s and out to 40 yards they're good.  Last tom I harvested at 20 yards and it rolled him damn good.  I'm using a Browning BPS NWTF model with 24" barrel and a Hevi-shot choke.  I believe the constriction is .660. If you like an affordable load that's lead try Kent Diamond shots in 3 1/2 in 5s or 6s.  I paid like $6.99 per 10rnds and they're rally good for a lead load.  Just depends on what combination your gun likes. 
Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

Offline Jmbradt3873

Who has killed with Thugs?
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 05:41:11 AM »
IIRC the strut-shoks are not buffered, whereas the thugs were, so the pattern is a little better with the thugs. I switched to lbxrs so I haven't looked for any federal shells lately.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 11:53:01 PM »
I killed one last year at 10 yards with the #6 thugs, not really a true test of them at that range. I switched to long beards this year, I got a much better 40 yard pattern with these.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 01:56:57 AM by coyote1 »

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 07:09:06 AM »
Saw some at a Dicks Sporting Goods.

x2
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 08:49:12 AM »
Don't know about the 20 ga shells or this year's production. But with last year's production, the Thugs available at Walmart were not the same as Strut Shoks. The Thugs had more buffer (although the Strut Shoks did have some), and the powder and powder charge were significantly different. I believe it was Gold Hunter who autopsied those shells and posted the results with pictures last year.

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2016, 05:52:56 PM »
Yes, same as the Strut Shoks, just in a different package and marketed for a few select retailers, Walmart, Dicks Sporting Goods etc.

Offline tkyhunter

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 05:04:46 PM »
I've shot a partial box of the 3.5" turkey thugs at range today. Had one misfire and was was stuck in barrel. Anyone had this problem?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:45:58 PM by tkyhunter »

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 05:32:14 PM »
Don't know about the 20 ga shells or this year's production. But with last year's production, the Thugs available at Walmart were not the same as Strut Shoks. The Thugs had more buffer (although the Strut Shoks did have some), and the powder and powder charge were significantly different. I believe it was Gold Hunter who autopsied those shells and posted the results with pictures last year.
x2 Yes I believe you are right, it was Gold hunter that did the comparison.

Offline nhhunter722

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2018, 08:12:18 PM »
I have killed at least 13 gobblers with Thugs, they kill just fine for me, don’t have a need for anything else. All shots are 25-35 yds here, all ridge birds. Just glad I have 10 boxes left.