North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Last tag filled, an upgrade-UPDATED

Started by trkehunr93, April 26, 2017, 10:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkehunr93

Will update soon, but scored out at 57.9

Had a fun hunt Wednesday morning after we had a weekend and first part of the week drown out by non-stop rain as most of the south experienced.  I hunted a spot I had been in the first week of our season but heard nothing at daylight and by 9am it had stayed quiet so I packed up and decided to drive to another part of the property.  I was driving by a field I had hunted for a few hours Tuesday during a break in the rain and not 30 yards for where my pop up blind had been was a group of gobblers, 4, strutting for a couple of hens.  I turned around and parked up the road and tried to put a sneak on them but there was a small opening I needed to get past so I could get along the creek bank and I evidently was busted by them because by the time I got to where they had been they were gone.  I pulled out my glass call and yelped and cutt a few times and they gobbled across the creek from me so at least they hadn't gotten completely out of Dodge.  The creek was so swollen from all the rain there was no way to cross it, so back in the vehicle and drive to the opposite end of the ridge they were on so I could cross a small branch that was still pretty deep but at least crossable and up the opposite end of the ridge I went.  I got to the top and started calling and finally after I pulled out my box call one finally gobbled below me so I hit the logging road going down the ridge and kept yelping and clucking as I walked and two would answer me back.  I slipped within a hundred yards of them and set up in the best spot I could find and started calling on my glass call and one answered me just to my left and then I could see a gobbler strutting on the other side of draw down below me and at the same time I catch movement and I see one, then two gobblers making their way up the other side of the draw in my direction.  I got myself turned and as they kept moving toward me they ended up coming parallel to where I was sitting so I had to get up on my knees and find a hole thru a bunch of branches to shoot thru, they finally popped up about 30-35 yards from me and I settled the scope on the second gobbler and fired. You can see the mess I had to find a hole to shoot thru to the right in the pic above, thats the tree I was sitting against.  He barely flopped when  I got over to him.  He was a nice bird, 21.4 lbs, 1" spurs and a 8.25" beard.  Great way, yet bittersweet, to end my 2017 turkey season. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

davisd9

Awesome!  Congratulations Jim.  Will update your score on the official score board.  Hope to fill my last tag this weekend.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Rzrbac

SwampRooster17

Congrats on your upgrade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BABS9

dirt road ninja