OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: head scratcher  (Read 2359 times)

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
head scratcher
« on: April 25, 2017, 05:44:11 PM »
My buddy has a turkey on his place that I call Concrete Shoes.  I have been privy to hunt with my friend some this year and actually called CC up the first time we hunted together.  He did a side step and peeled around us with no shot.  Ever since then the bird has been a complete menace.  He roosts in pretty much the same location, but other than that has no distinct pattern of travel, will not even gobble at calls and will shut up for long periods of time and I have thrown everyone that I have at him (figuratively not physically...yet) soft loud cut cackle gobble ...this has been throughout the season.... this past Sunday we decided to hunt him again.  Stopped at our listening spot and listened.....and listened....crows and owls going off around us...nothing...I owl nothing...I caw..nothing...since time was running short (We are good Southern Baptist) and church starting soon we decided to go check out another spot on foot....we got about 100 yards and CC starts up about 150 yards from where we were listening at first light....I said a few non-Southern Baptist words under my breath about CC and his mother and we tore out back to him. We had perfect access to him as a logging road ran just right of where he was roosted.  We snuck up to about 80 yards and set up just off the road.  He gobbled...ever so frequently as to indicate he was looking for a girl friend. I kinda grinned...this is gonna be one of those yelp 3 times, give him a little leaf scratching and he's gonna pitch down, bust a few of his best dance moves on that road and my buddy is gonna relieve ol CC of any sinus congestion he may have had at the time.  Game over, dead bird, few hero pics and we back before the first hymn is over.  The latex on my mouth call was already warmed up and moist...ready to send the siren call....Get ready big boy, no more toe wrapping from lofty heights tonight I thought as I let out a few subtle yelps...nothing....hmmm....I reached over...scratch scratch scratch...scratch scratch scratch....nothing. Soon afterwards we hear a hen behind us pitch down and start its way towards us...Alright!  Now we're talking live decoy coming down the road...make way for her royal highness...we are in the drivers seat for sure now! Then as she approaches she gets a bit disturbed,  a little clucking nothing outlandish and simply walks in the opposite direction... Nothing....15 min later....GOBBBBLLLEEEEE same bat time same bat station...no movement... At this point my buddy starts in on the whisper swearing contest...Tick Tock goes the Turkey Hunting Clock and Ole CC never shows up for his Eyes, Nose, Ears, and Throat appointment.   :jesus-cross: and back to the truck we go....head scratching....Now I say all that to say this...I tell my buddy, that bird has been boogered.  Either messed with a bunch during the week or has been witness first hand to a killing.  Both of which my buddy said is highly unlikely.  I don't argue, but I do believe that with public roads running on two sides of the property, the likelyhood of the former and the latter of my statements could very well be true!  This probably should go in the long stories section!   :TooFunny:

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
Re: head scratcher
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 07:57:45 PM »
Good story.  Sounds like CC needs 2oz Pb IC (2 ounces of lead intracranially).   Good luck.  Sounds like you were in perfect position with the hen.  His luck HAS to run out.

I believe I would try creepy creeping and never say a word.  Flydown with a wing and a few scratches in the leaves. 

PS  Let us know how he meets his maker! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline renegade19

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 08:31:24 PM »
Pretty sure he has a few Northern cousins. I've mentioned "The Lone Ranger" on here before.  I'm certain he died of old age.  Hope to see a pic with you and ole boy together one of these days!

Offline saverx

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 11:05:52 PM »
Stay on him and keep the pressure on him. He will make a mistake!

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
head scratcher
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 04:54:28 PM »
First off, you have a way with words. You should tell more stories. Secondly I have no doubts the bird has seen a ting or three but also will have a moment of weakness that will get him killed. Long as your there to make the most of the opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Cottonmouth

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 11:40:32 PM »
Hunt him in the evening.  Since he is roosting in the same area, set up close by and do some soft calling with that tree yelper you make. Most times they slip in quiet but I've killed some tough old birds doing that.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 09:09:30 AM »
Hunt him in the evening.  Since he is roosting in the same area, set up close by and do some soft calling with that tree yelper you make. Most times they slip in quiet but I've killed some tough old birds doing that.
  Thanks!  Tried that as well.  Sat in his roost area until dark one afternoon after we had heard him that morning doing exactly as you described.  Mr. No Show, but hopefully my buddy will get him solo in the morning!  If not, we gonna give him a sunrise service on Sunday!!!