OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Tree call when roosting  (Read 4212 times)

Offline jed clampett

• Longbeard
Tree call when roosting
« on: April 06, 2019, 09:44:27 PM »
So how many of you use a tree call in the morning when there on the roost and how many wait till fly down?..just wondering

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
Re: Tree call when roosting
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 10:29:45 PM »
I talk to them softly and quietly until the point where silence is called for.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 10:41:49 PM »
I wait until I think the gobbler would be ready to fly down and "test" him with a single series of soft yelps.  Shortly thereafter, I will imitate the hen (me) flying down,...and again, wait and see how he responds.  Often, that flydown will spark his interest.  Sometimes he will come right out of the tree,...and sometimes he will sit tight for a bit.

If he sits tight, I will imitate another flydown,..and maybe even another,...and another.  Soon thereafter, I will start some "ground" talk amongst the hens he has heard fly down,...and also with some additional wing flapping noise, scratching, and such.  That generally peaks his interest enough to get on the ground and start looking.

If I can get him (or any of his hens, if he has them) in sight, then I complete the illusion with some strategic "flashing" of feathers.  Most of the time once that happens, it's "game over".  Usually, it's just a question of if I am wanting to shoot him or let him walk so I can do it all again. 

Important points:  I get as close as I dare to the gobbler.  I never start any of this strategy too early.  Calling too early and/or too often is probably the biggest mistake roost hunters make. 

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 11:51:49 PM »
I tree talk a bit and will do a flydown cackle using a wing thing and then scratch at the leaves the way a turkey would when on the ground. First time I did it was the year after my car wreck and I had 3 come within 2 feet of me 2 scraping the blind on either side of me and one rubbing its wing on my backpack that was behind me. That was when the back was much worse and I could not get the front end of the gun up to shoot even though one presented perfectly for me and stood there a while. Have not had them come in like that since but the few years I have been able to get back out again I have seemed to have gotten decent response to it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 01:57:57 PM »
Only when I feel that he might be interested in flying down (if he is gobbling seldom from the roost then no). I then imitate a hen scratching in the leaves and cluck softly. I have had this drive them nuts and fly down and run to me.

Most of the time, I don't do this on private land but will definitely try it on public because if he is already gobbling from the roost, he is attracting other hunters. As soon as I can get him down and coming to my direction, the greater my chances of killing him first.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline jims

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 06:06:23 PM »
The only time I've done it is when I don't know where turkeys are roosting or hanging out.  Here in Colo there are miles upon miles of country without ANY turkeys.  The mountain meriams here also are super quiet and sometimes even quit making noise around 1/2 hour before daylight.  They find out quick that if they make noise they are eaten by the many coyotes, bears, mtn lions, and bobcats that live in the area.  It's sometimes possible to get toms to shock gobble a couple times during daylight hours but usually not much.  It's obviously a lot easier locating toms if you can get them or hens to make noise!

Offline G squared 23

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 10:19:12 PM »
I’ll start out as soft as I can but still have him hear me, also I’m a little higher pitched with a shorter sequence.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 09:52:00 PM »
Rarely do I do any tree calls. If I do it’s because I think he’s about ready to fly down. I really prefer him on the ground before I start calling. Having said that, I have had them pitch down a long way off and across deep creeks and me never calling at all. It’s a little bit of a gamble and timing is key.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 01:58:03 PM »
I wait until I think the gobbler would be ready to fly down and "test" him with a single series of soft yelps.  Shortly thereafter, I will imitate the hen (me) flying down,...and again, wait and see how he responds.  Often, that flydown will spark his interest.  Sometimes he will come right out of the tree,...and sometimes he will sit tight for a bit.

If he sits tight, I will imitate another flydown,..and maybe even another,...and another.  Soon thereafter, I will start some "ground" talk amongst the hens he has heard fly down,...and also with some additional wing flapping noise, scratching, and such.  That generally peaks his interest enough to get on the ground and start looking.

I had to post and give a call-out thank you...  As it turns out, I actually learned something on the forum!

I have done fly-downs in the past, and have even done more than one...  But after reading your post, I tried getting a bit more aggressive.

Yesterday birds were flying down right at daylight, and I did several fly-down wing beats followed by clucking and soft yelps.  Had a group of jakes and hens in my lap within minutes (it was still basically dark), and finally ol' Tom showed up for the party (he came in quiet but fast).  Killed him before the sun came up.

While hunting yesterday, I happened to see two other toms fly down and go the other direction...  This morning I hunted them, and after hearing other birds start to fly down, I did several fly-downs (wings beating) followed by quiet clucks and yelps (hens were not talking this morning)…  Had two toms in my lap before the sun came up....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 02:15:33 PM »
It really depends in the situation, distance to birds, apparent mood/talkative-Ness, amount of hens.. Ect

I call less then when I was a rookie but at times will pour it on them, most of the time it's just enough to let them know I'm here and excited enough about their presence with a scratch box or mouth call.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 03:52:58 PM »

I had to post and give a call-out thank you...  As it turns out, I actually learned something on the forum!

I have done fly-downs in the past, and have even done more than one...  But after reading your post, I tried getting a bit more aggressive.

Yesterday birds were flying down right at daylight, and I did several fly-down wing beats followed by clucking and soft yelps.  Had a group of jakes and hens in my lap within minutes (it was still basically dark), and finally ol' Tom showed up for the party (he came in quiet but fast).  Killed him before the sun came up.

While hunting yesterday, I happened to see two other toms fly down and go the other direction...  This morning I hunted them, and after hearing other birds start to fly down, I did several fly-downs (wings beating) followed by quiet clucks and yelps (hens were not talking this morning)…  Had two toms in my lap before the sun came up....

Sounds like your picking on them ole toms , making them think that group of hens are down there and just going about their daily business. Not really paying attention to them toms. Kind of mean don't ya think?
LOL I like it. 

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 05:52:47 PM »

If I can get him (or any of his hens, if he has them) in sight, then I complete the illusion with some strategic "flashing" of feathers.  Most of the time once that happens, it's "game over".  Usually, it's just a question of if I am wanting to shoot him or let him walk so I can do it all again. 

Important points:  I get as close as I dare to the gobbler.  I never start any of this strategy too early.  Calling too early and/or too often is probably the biggest mistake roost hunters make.

Great post as always

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 03:14:26 PM »
After I'm near a roosting bird and he's good and awake, I let out some soft tree yelps just to let him know I'm there and then pretty much don't make another sound until he pitches down.  If he can't see me in my location, I will usually make some kind of fly down noise with my hat.  A few soft yelps and clucks will usually lure him in if he's not covered up with hens.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 07:54:23 AM »
Great to hear that the strategy worked for you, Marc!  ...Just remember to save some of those gobblers for the future!   ;D :icon_thumright:
Jim

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 03:45:35 PM »
Great to hear that the strategy worked for you, Marc!  ...Just remember to save some of those gobblers for the future!   ;D :icon_thumright:
Jim

I doubt there is any danger in that!  There are 3 times the numbers of birds (especially hens) than I have ever seen before in my area.  It was rough going during the drought, but with two good springs, bird numbers are at an all-time high in my area...  And with basically perfect nesting conditions this year, I would expect similar or greater numbers next season...

Next drought that comes along, we will see bird numbers plummet.  All kidding aside, I do not believe you can stockpile turkeys (at least in my region).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.