OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Cant keep head down looking for red dot options  (Read 3284 times)

Offline tenderloin

Cant keep head down looking for red dot options
« on: April 25, 2017, 09:15:24 AM »
I manage to miss one or 2 every year that are well within my range due to peaking or picking my head up. Right now shoot a 870 express with the 2 bead sites. I have a couple questions, will a red dot like a fast fire help me keep my head down? Research shows yes.

Also would you recommend the burris FF III? I would need to get my gun drilled and tapped, which is no big deal and would want a top mount. I guess the 336? I'm just frustrated with calling up 2-3 turkeys every year and coming away with only one and i need all the help I can get.

Thanks for any feedback with similar setups

Offline wvhunter74

Re: Cant keep head down looking for red dot options
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 02:14:08 PM »
I'm guilty of the same thing, I switched to the ff3/336 base and will never go back to rifled sights or beads.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 07:44:03 PM »
Chances are any sights will not force your head down cause doing so will make them too high unless you have a comb adjuster. You could try a peep n you'd look through it to see, scope, red dot whatever but it's not gonna "cure" bad form. You should practice. Clay birds can be used as a fun way to develop your brain into the cheek weld. I should add when you practice make sure the gun fits n has correct drop. If you're using say an older break action gun the stock could drop away too much to see anything but tang.
Now the fastfire question? You got hair? You'll pull it out trying to get battery in n not strip cover. Imo it a bad choice. Mine had red streaks all over glass n on lower settings the dot wasn't a dot but a comet. Very low or automatic setting it worked.
One shot w light target reload n the thing started coming apart. If you get it good luck

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 08:14:24 PM »
Miss 1 or 2 a year?? Wish I could get 1 or 2 shots a year!!

No different type of sights will " force" you to keep you head down. If you want kill birds just squeeze the trigger and keep your head down through the shot. 

My dad had this issue years ago for a couple of birds and now has a little mental check-list before squeezing the trigger.

Offline turkey_picker

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 10:06:58 PM »
I have a EOTech 512, it lets me shoot with my head up. Seems to work for me.  :z-twocents:

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 11:20:09 PM »
The advantage of a Vortex Venom is that it is parallax free, meaning that the sight never drifts regardless of your head not being down or if you don't shoulder it the exact same way every time. Basically it saves you from yourself.

Offline Strutr

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 11:48:30 AM »
What a reflex type red dot will do is shoot to whatever spot that red dot is pointing even if you don't have a good cheek weld.  Maybe that's all you think you want.  However, I would suggest you work at developing better shooting form since it will serve you well in other types of shooting. 

Also make certain that you aren't flinching at the shot.  Magnum turkey loads can bring that tendency out in some shooters.  When you are at the range, have a buddy load your gun for you, sometimes leaving the chamber empty.  Have him study you at the trigger pull to see if you are flinching.  It may be most revealing when pulling the trigger on an empty chamber.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 09:24:16 AM by Strutr »

Offline ky double lung

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 05:34:55 AM »
I switched to a Bushnell red dot several years ago, made all the difference in the world! The ability to fine tune your pattern and confidence in your setup is well worth it! You won't regret it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 01:20:04 PM »
I have the Burris speed dot on my Ithaca, works well for me. Mike

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 09:42:32 AM »
Just get the truglo with the red dot built into the saddle mount .quick and easy and not alot of dough. Assuming 12 gauge.  Works fine for 2 of us in the group and no problems at all
If you get cheek bone slap you could be shying away at the last moment from anticipated recoil .

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 07:02:40 PM »
Scope will definitely keep head creep down.  But they are so beautiful coming in it's hard not to!  More than anything I like the ability to center the poi.  Rain was the reason I moved away from using a scope. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 07:00:54 AM »
Guys NO sighting system a scope, red dot, what have you will keep your head down per se as in proper form. Yes they may band aid n issue n allow you to get away w your head not being down but in order to keep your face down when the sights are even higher than a bead you need a comb raiser. To be clear though a scope forces you to look through in order to see n a red dot as long as it's on the target will strike correctly even w head up. It just still doesn't fix a problem. Proper practice will