Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Wet saturday...

Started by Scottyb, April 24, 2017, 03:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scottyb

Good wet morning-  went back to where I hunted Tuesday looking for redemption.  Set up a stupid blind because sugar melts you know-  the plan was to hop in it if nothing was going on and try to catch a gobbler trying to dry off. Well, of course a bird hammers away too close for me to step out into the open and move. So in the blind  I go-  I'm basically trapped like the idiot I am for even putting the dumb thing up.   So I tried anyway- he liked what I was sayin- but I knew it was a long shot.  So, he tortured me over and over. Finally I get out of the blind and go after him- I slip in the woods he was in, cutt and Yelp.  And his hen takes him further away. So I march my fat butt all the way around, past my blind on the edge of the road up to a small "field".  I stop, and can hear a bird drumming.  So I set out the decoys I grabbed on the way by my blind- called a little, and he drums- walks off, flys across a ditch and gobbles- when he does, the original bird gobbled too and had moved back towards where I called to him. So, there I go back to the blind, pack it up and slip around and up into the woods.  I'm slipping along to where the woods opens up, and pick a good tree as a goal, make it there- and the sob drums-  about 40 yards away and through a tangle of crap- thankfully.  Throw some soft yelps at him and he fires back. This is now at 1030.  Gobbler Yelp at him and he drums.  And drums. And drums.  I can see him through this crap, and he is just an sing there drumming, and drumming and drumming- he would raise his head- and then drum and drum some more- he gobbles a little too.  This MFR is IN GUN RANGE and I can't shoot- all I can do is listen to him drum.  So, after about 50 straight minutes of this Chinese water torture in the form of a gobbler strutting in range without a shot, he starts to move to my advantage-  he pops out, and got a load of hevi 6,s.  Good bird, about 18-20 pounds, 10.5 inch beard, 1 inch curved Spurs.

Mossy Oak Pro Staff...

BowBendr

I hear ya, sugar melts when it gets wet ;)
Thats a good bird, congrats !!

Gods of Thunder