OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Trying to call my first bird in...  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Sevenyearsandcounting

Trying to call my first bird in...
« on: April 24, 2017, 03:11:33 PM »
Last season my dad helped me bag my first eastern turkey after 7 years of struggles. This year I want to help repay the favor.

Due to terrible circumstances, stepmom is majorly I'll, dads diabetes really hurting him and multiple trees fell on his house he could not help me scout this year. No big deal. I love scouting always have. Weird as I haven't had much luck even with the scouting but anyway.

I have a couple scenarios to choose from. Let me know what you think.

1. Is the spot I killed my bird at last year. I shot a 23.5(24 on my scale lol) and a friend shot a 22lb bird. Lots of big strutters there but they maybe Jakes since three birds were in half struts. Like they weren't sure who was boss. Now dads no turkey snob he loves a nice jake but I want to get him on a boss. I owe him big time. The bird he let me shoot was bigger than his biggest and I feel like it's his turn to take a monster.

2. A small timber lot surrounded by a huge cow farm. Beautiful land. Our only land that's ours 100%. I went up this weekend and as I was leaving the woods I saw scratching. While investigating boom fan. I quickly hid and peaked through a massive oak tree branch and saw he was a monster. Only issue? Today I went back to listen and heard/saw nothing. Opening day is next Monday and the birds in our land have a particular route and rarely will they break it. I'd love to get him a bird there it's our spot. We have a deep connection to this land.

3. Public land. About 9,000 acres and I've walked it for 14 days this April. Covered it all and saw lots of sign. Heard three birds light up. Actually the only gobbles I've heard so far. Really tempting but who knows if we will get run in on by other hunters? Also I'm not the most experienced caller. It would sure be awesome to pull off but maybe we will save this spot for the later season.

Sorry for all the reading! Let me know what you think if you took the time to read it! Thanks everyone! Go get those birds!

Offline Geechie

Re: Trying to call my first bird in...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:23:27 PM »
Either one or two, whichever of the two you feel most comfortable on and know the lay of the land best.

Offline Ozark870Hunter

Trying to call my first bird in...
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 03:58:42 PM »
Something to consider. Public is usually good the first few days of season until the pressure shuts them down or they relocate. Later in the season during weekdays it can become productive again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 07:51:02 PM »
That was my thought one or two. We can hunt both spots opening day if needed but getting to spot three is tough since it's a haul of a drive.

About the public spot I'm going to hunt it mainly during the day. I'll hit the private spots with dad and then hit public during the day so we don't over pressure our spots.

Thanks for the input guys! 5 days til we hit the field!

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 07:55:33 PM »
If possible...............................
Spend more time with dad!
Take him on several hunts to all 3 places.
Memories................something that can't be bought.

Online g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 08:02:36 PM »
I will  absolutely 100% promise you that your daddy could care less if it is 1, 2 or 3 and whether or not you hear, see or kill a bird he will cherish hunting with his son, guaran-dang-tee.  My son has moved off and we got on birds (usually hens) every time he was home this year and I loved every minute of it. 

Cherish the hunt and take the pressure off yourself.  Any kill will just be icing.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Cottonmouth

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 10:55:48 PM »
Hunt the private land first then go to the public land in the middle of the day when most guys head in. Good luck.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 08:54:00 AM »
Oh we will hunt as much as possible together. A lot of people I know don't like hunting with a partner but my dad and I have had a lot of success together. Sure my dad has shot the majority of the birds but I've helped on multiple occasions to bring a bird we've waited out for 2-4 hours in to gun range for him.

I'll loop around to call and the bird will go right to the last location. And so on. We've bagged 9 birds together. Sadly I lost out on 6 years of hunting with him and I'm just getting back into hunting easterns and I love it. These birds are challenging compared to the Rio birds I hunted in Texas. Every eastern is a trophy. And a huge test of patience!

Last year was our first back hunting together and it took us 22 grueling days to lay down a monster. It finally all worked out and the big tom came into me lol. Lets hope this season we can both get a bird or two. A double ok opening day would be amazing but that's not turkey hunting here lol. It'll take the whole season to get us both two birds but it's my goal. Can't wait to get after those birds!