OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: No gobbling they are there just not interested?  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Ranger518SVS

No gobbling they are there just not interested?
« on: April 23, 2017, 05:08:22 PM »
I primarily hunt public lands and over the past years, especially during opening week I could always get a gobble after a little calling. This year is strange to me, I've walked over 30 miles and scouted my past productive areas, seen turkey but can't get them interested.   

Offline yelpy

• Double Beard
Re: No gobbling they are there just not interested?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 09:31:22 PM »
There is a silent period in there breading phases. They were talking a lot here up until the middle of this week.

Offline Ranger518SVS

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 10:13:33 PM »
Thank you for your info I hope things change soon its hard trying to be patient   

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 11:35:27 AM »
There is a silent period in there breading phases. They were talking a lot here up until the middle of this week.

How long does this silent phase last?

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 11:34:51 PM »
I can only go by the hunting in central North Carolina, because that's all I've ever hunted. Turkeys are turkeys and they behave similarly from year to year for each of the 30+ years I've hunted turkeys. My experience is that they can be quieter in the second week into the start of the third week of the season than they had been at the beginning of the season.  Several friends of mine have still been seeing gobblers with hens, or had gobblers call sparingly from the roost, then shut up and get with hens right after fly down.  That says there are either a lot of young Jenny hens from last year's hatch, or not all the older hens are completely ready to nest yet.  It also says that the best part of the season is just about to happen.

Before you know it, there will start to be lonesome gobblers cruising around in mid-morning, after hens have gone to their nests, gobbling in search of more hens to get busy with.  That can be the easiest time of season to call gobblers to you.  If you get a gobbling bird to answer that time of day, get ready, because he's likely to come in fast.  It can also be a gobbler at a favored strut zone who will offer courtesy gobbles and be expecting you to come to him.  For that scenario, you're better off waiting until he leaves the strut zone, then go scout the area, find a place to set up in range, and try to call him there later.

Don't quit too early in the day, or you may miss the best part of it. Remember that there are more leaves on the trees now, so gobblers will be closer than they sound.

I hopes this helps somebody spend their tags.

Jim

Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline rockymtngobblers

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »
Same thing here, when they are silent I stay silent and set up in the roost area late afternoon  and morning, I  set up in an area where turkeys are known to travel and congregate mid morning  to about 3-4
Female hunter hunting the wild turkey for over 20 years.
Earn your gobbler, no Roost shooting.