turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anodized aluminium question

Started by jwright8, April 23, 2017, 02:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwright8

I have a anodized aluminium, love the sound of it, I hate the anodized surface though.  Would it be a bad idea to sand all the way to raw aluminium so I could get a better grip?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Just take 220 or finer sandpaper n rough up surface. You'll love it but it will detract from resale value.

Coop1082

What bowguy said. My Hank's padauk slipped. Even after lightly hitting it with scotchbrite it would run well for a sequence or two then start squeaking. Wasn't until I took the 220 paper Hanks sends with the call and hit the surface that it really started singing . You can see some of the bare aluminum in mine now, but I haven't had to condition the surface since. It  does take away from the "aesthetic appeal" but if it's a keeper, no harm done if it brings in birds.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

CMBOSTC

I was a little apprehensive about making pot calls with the anodized surface for this very reason but I haven't had any issues with my calls slipping like that and haven't received complaints from my customers. I even used my personal call in the rain yesterday and didn't have a bit of slippage.

West Augusta

Clint Corder and daughter condition their Anodized Aluminum pots with about 120 grit.  Leaves some fairly healthy scratches in it.  Sounds great.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Coop1082

I tended to not notice the slips on yelps pre-sanded. Always seemed to happen on the sharper/quicker notes. Clucks and cutting sequences mainly. Also keep striker tips clean. I prefer some rain chalk on the tip of mine for added assurance.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

870BkWht

Quote from: Chamberlin Calls on April 24, 2017, 03:55:30 PM
Try one that is bead blasted anodized aluminum.

This is only my opinion, but I hate blasted aluminum.  Id much rather used a raw aluminum or plain smooth anodized aluminum surface.

MikeStaten

On my Lonzo anodized I only use brown scotch brite.  It doesn't stay conditioned as long as sandpaper but it sounds better in my opinion.  Little cleaner an high pitched.

New Yorker

For my call design, the anodized aluminum hives a different sound than clean aluminum. That's the point of using it. I've had a couple of customers ruin calls by trying to take off the anodizing. You are trying to change the playability of the call, you very well may change the sound as well.

Bowguy

Quote from: New Yorker on April 25, 2017, 06:11:36 PM
For my call design, the anodized aluminum hives a different sound than clean aluminum. That's the point of using it. I've had a couple of customers ruin calls by trying to take off the anodizing. You are trying to change the playability of the call, you very well may change the sound as well.
No one said clean it just scratch it up slightly. It makes em sound and play better imo

CMBOSTC

Quote from: jwright8 on April 23, 2017, 02:09:19 PM
I have a anodized aluminium, love the sound of it, I hate the anodized surface though.  Would it be a bad idea to sand all the way to raw aluminium so I could get a better grip?

The OP did, I think this is were New Yorker got the "clean it" comment from.

Bowguy

Quote from: C. Brumfiel on April 28, 2017, 11:57:56 AM
Quote from: jwright8 on April 23, 2017, 02:09:19 PM

The OP did, I think this is were New Yorker got the "clean it" comment from.
Thought the word "would" meant he was contemplating but not yet attempted it. Who knows you could be right

New Yorker

No one said clean it just scratch it up slightly. It makes em sound and play better imo
[/quote]

Clean aluminum as is normal, unanoduzed aluminum. Wasn't talking about cleaning the surface.

pappy

to me the key is grip on aluminum, if you find the sweet spot hit it with the 220 , if it sounds different then just hit the majority of the surface to see where the spot has moved to. I agree with the Corder's decision to rough it up a little....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206