OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Where do you place your pot call when it's time for the shot?  (Read 13906 times)

Offline Wigsplitter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: Where do you place your pot call when it's time for the shot?
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2018, 02:14:23 PM »
 On the ground

Offline jims

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 01:59:12 PM »
My pot calls sit in my truck!  Once I learned to use mouth calls I don't use pots any more.  My hands are free and there is no motion that will spook turkeys.

Offline SFCSNOW

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 02:47:51 PM »
Just a quick tip for those that are having an issue close-range birds and pot calls:  take time to learn to use a pot call one-handed in the position you shoot from (most, I believe, sit down).  When a gobbler is close enough that he will see your movement, you don't need to be making any loud and complex calls to convince him to come closer.  In fact, it is often best to just to make little, quiet "turkey noises",...very soft clucks, purrs, and quiet little yelps,...and generally very few of them.  (Note: this is assuming that the gobbler is either hung-up or possibly changing his line of approach,....if a bird is coming in steadily and toward you, you don't need to be calling at all)

The sounds needed in those situations can easily be made with the pot on the ground with one hand working the striker,...if you practice it and learn how to control the pot and striker with the one hand.  A little practice with the one-hand method and you will eliminate the movement problem,....if you are set-up properly in the first place.

Proper set-up:  Anybody that is right handed can naturally swing their gun farther to the left comfortably that to the right,....and vice-versa for left-handed shooters.  Right handed shooters should always set up at a slight angle to the right from the direction the bird is approaching (left handers to the left).  This gives you the "optimum" amount of comfortable swing-range for a bird that moves right or left when approaching you.

If you sit with your knees raised a bit (which most of us do, I think), and you are at the proper angle described above, you can easily move your "shooting hand" to the pot, if needed, where it is out-of-sight behind your raised knee.  ....Problem solved.

Exactly what I do.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 11:54:43 AM »
My pot calls sit in my truck!  Once I learned to use mouth calls I don't use pots any more.  My hands are free and there is no motion that will spook turkeys.

While I agree that skilled mouth call users probably don't need to worry about this problem, I think it would safe to say that a great many turkey hunters are not proficient enough with a mouth call to make the subtle sounds needed for a close-in gobbler on a mouth call.  I used to recommend to the newbies that they learn to use mouth calls for those close encounters, and I still think it is a good idea,....IF they are going to practice enough to perfect those close-range calls. 

From what I have seen, however, most hunters are not dedicated enough to it to get good enough on a mouth call to make those soft clucks, purrs, and soft yelps needed at close range.  Add to that the "dry mouth syndrome" that occurs with close-up gobblers, even pretty good mouth call users can have fits trying to get the sounds that they want with a mouth call.

Bottom line is that, for most turkey hunters, learning to make those accurate sounds on a pot call,...and learning how to do it without detectable movement,...is generally a lot easier than with a mouth call. 

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2018, 12:58:30 AM »
In my lap, on the ground, but it will be facing up so no to mess up the conditioning of the surface.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 07:03:50 AM »
generally for me...im no longer at the point of making any calls when the time comes to shoot a gobbler. if I feel the gobbler is coming or he has came dramatically closer...I put the call down then. when I say down...on the ground face up like others have said already. as far as running one, with one hand. I don't feel the need to do that......but then again im not horrible on a mouth call. when I sit down calling , I keep my left leg up and my dominant leg being my right leg on the ground. I run the call behind my left leg even though im not really concerned with being spotted at that point.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2018, 12:05:42 AM »
Pot goes in left pocket striker in right. If not wearing a coat striker under my belly and pot goes in blind wall pocket.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 11:40:31 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2018, 11:28:58 PM »
Next to me on the ground before he's too close and finish him with a mouth call.

Offline AC 870

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2018, 09:20:26 PM »
On the ground next to my leg.

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2018, 10:01:02 AM »
I love running pot calls. When I know a bird is coming I will place the call and Striker on a brown towel to my right and switch over to a mouth call for the close work, but there are always the surprises...oops there he is...now what do I do!? It’s what makes the hunt challenging and fun!

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2018, 10:58:23 PM »
I do like Eddie Salter says...... Once I know the bird is coming I sling it 10 feet to the side..... That way I will not keep calling......

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2018, 11:12:54 PM »
As the title says, if you're using a pot call and the turkey approaches, where do you put the call and striker without making too much movement or noise?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
I have an ol Tom shirt that has a pocket in the front that has a duck call sorta lanyard thing? It’s attached in the pocket (pocket will also hold the call) That has a spring loop that I hook to the top of striker so I can just drop it. The call goes slowly to ground or in lap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2018, 11:16:22 PM »
I always lay a small dark green, black, or dark brown small towel beside me to place my stuff on.
Helps keep them quiet too.

^^^ THIS is a GREAT idea! I've often thought about grabbing a swatch of camo fleece and cutting into 12"x12" squares just for this (but I forget about it until the next time I'm putting my stuff on the ground, amongst the leaves, dirt, and twigs! lol).

I have learned (and forced myself) to always, always put my calls on my right side. I'm right handed and I often angle 45 degrees with left knee towards bird. As such, I also always spit left side.

One shot of tobacco onto a slate, and ohhh boy! Don't ask me how I know this. Just trust me...  ;D

But like others have said - when I'm putting it down, I'm 99% done with it. Mouthcall can handle the rest.
I usually set my decoy bag under me with enough hanging out right side to set stuff on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spring_Woods

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2018, 09:28:53 PM »
I am right handed.

I usually put the pot call and striker just to the right of my right leg on the ground. I've had to pick the call back up and place it on my thigh and call one or two more times a time or two.

+2
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2018, 03:44:19 PM »
On the ground or in a shirt pocket.  First time you shift and it goes falling off your lap and makes a noise  you won’t be happy about it.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!