OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Where do you place your pot call when it's time for the shot?  (Read 13849 times)

Online boatpaddle

• Longbeard
Where do you place your pot call when it's time for the shot?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 04:04:07 PM »

I use this for my strikers...

Cpt Hook from OG makes em....

When I sit down , I open a button on my shirt, just above my belt...my pot call goes in that opening, when I'm finished with it..

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:17:33 PM by boatpaddle »
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 04:07:02 PM »
Just set it down beside me somewhere, I am using a mouth call when I think he is close enough to see movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
Re: Where do you place your pot call when it's time for the shot?
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2017, 04:35:45 PM »
Where ever it falls for me.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 03:06:44 PM »
Ol Tom shirt pocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 12:24:12 AM »
I generally know which tree I'll be sitting against as part of my set up. If there's vegetation surrounding me, I'm not that concerned with slowly moving to and from pot and/or box calls. If I'm not sure where I'll be setting up, I carry a 3'x10' camo netting which I hang vertically from three stakes. This allows me to set up behind it in the wide open against a tree directly on the field's edge and still have the flexibility to move slowly behind it without fear of being spotted. I used this scenario to bag my third season gobbler in Southern Illinois this spring using my LC Smith 12 gauge Damascus hammer double barrel shooting black powder and #6 shot from only 20 yards. I'll probably be taking that camo netting more next year since it hides a multiple of movements that would get you pegged without it.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 08:48:53 AM »
I generally use a combination of mouth calls and a pot call when calling to a bird.  Once I determine which of the two a gobbler favors, I will generally focus on using that call.  However, I always want to have the pot in a position that I can use it one-handed if a bird is getting close, so (like others have said) I set in on the ground on my right side with the striker right next to the call, and with the call positioned so that I can "feel" for the sweet spot by reaching down without looking.

I also always set-up where I am at an angle to the right (I'm right handed) to where the bird is approaching.  In doing so, with my left knee raised to hold the gun in position, I can reach down with my right hand without the bird being able to detect the movement, feel for the call and position the striker, and make any final quiet little "sweet talk" I might need to finalize the deal. 

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2017, 09:19:41 AM »
I use a lounger chair when I hunt and my a pot stays in my lap when I'm sitting.  I also use an H.S. padded gun rest on my left knee, so I slip the striker under the elastic band to keep it in sight & easy reach.  The pot call generally gets mid-range work, with the long box for distance calling and a mouth call for the close in finish calling.  I shoot left handed, so the box call is beside my right hip.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 11:07:50 AM »
On the ground. 

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 04:38:09 PM »
Down! Usually on the ground between my legs.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Online HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 04:58:37 PM »
Depends... If I'm running my hip boots, which I frequently do not only for crossing creeks, but it keeps the tall wet grass off you, as well as ticks for some reason hate the rubber. (A minimal amount a permethrin and lacrosse hip boots, you'll never get a tick all spring long) But I tuck the pot call in the top of my hip boot with striker next to it in there on  my down leg, this makes for concealable easy use of f I need to grab it back and play right there on my thigh. It also either, keeps  the call tight to my thigh or falls a couple inches into my boot where I'll obviously be able to locate it. Atleast that's my way of doing it. Along with mimicking many of the more detailed techniques already listed, and using a mouth call mainly as a finisher.

Offline Tomcat655

• Hang in there..at least till he's dead
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 08:20:42 PM »
I'm with the fellas saying "put it on the ground" lol  At this point in the hunt its go time and you need to get it out of your way.  I'm not knockin anybody putting it in their lap or on their leg or wherever on your body.  But you dang sure don't want it to slide and make a movement or if you have to turn or reposition and it clank or make noise. put it on the ground. lol

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 10:39:23 PM »
By my butt.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »
I've got a messenger bag instead of a vest that carries all my calls.  When its flopped open, it gives me a clean spot to lay a few calls out. 

If I'm using a pot call or box call, I've usually got the call put away long before the gobbler shows. By then, I have a mouth call in and I keep a push-pin call by right side.  If the bird hangs up, I can throw that last cluck or two  to convince him to change his mind.

One trick I've used a few times is when hens run in ahead of a gobbler and try to pick a fight.  That's when that push-pin call works great.  I can start throwing angry purrs at her, and make her think she's walked in on a hen. Once, I did that and set off a chain reaction.  The hen got scared off all right, but then a fight broke out just on the other side of bush.  Over the space of a half-hour, I had turkey Armegeddon going on, and then a wild orgy of mating with all sorts of action, but no gobbler ever stuck his head out beyond the bush.  It was a crazy thing, and all about 20 feet away from me, but nothing but memories to show for it.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline idgobble

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 11:46:18 PM »
Next to my right hip where I can pick it up without looking.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2018, 08:51:53 AM »
Just a quick tip for those that are having an issue close-range birds and pot calls:  take time to learn to use a pot call one-handed in the position you shoot from (most, I believe, sit down).  When a gobbler is close enough that he will see your movement, you don't need to be making any loud and complex calls to convince him to come closer.  In fact, it is often best to just to make little, quiet "turkey noises",...very soft clucks, purrs, and quiet little yelps,...and generally very few of them.  (Note: this is assuming that the gobbler is either hung-up or possibly changing his line of approach,....if a bird is coming in steadily and toward you, you don't need to be calling at all)

The sounds needed in those situations can easily be made with the pot on the ground with one hand working the striker,...if you practice it and learn how to control the pot and striker with the one hand.  A little practice with the one-hand method and you will eliminate the movement problem,....if you are set-up properly in the first place.

Proper set-up:  Anybody that is right handed can naturally swing their gun farther to the left comfortably that to the right,....and vice-versa for left-handed shooters.  Right handed shooters should always set up at a slight angle to the right from the direction the bird is approaching (left handers to the left).  This gives you the "optimum" amount of comfortable swing-range for a bird that moves right or left when approaching you.

If you sit with your knees raised a bit (which most of us do, I think), and you are at the proper angle described above, you can easily move your "shooting hand" to the pot, if needed, where it is out-of-sight behind your raised knee.  ....Problem solved.