turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Browning A5

Started by david.holmes111, March 03, 2019, 07:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david.holmes111

I have a very old browning A5 with a full choke.  It is in great shape, it has the suicide safety so I'm guessing it is pre 1945.  Obviously it is a 2 3/4 chamber. Does anyone out there have a suggestion for a turkey load with 2 3/4 inch chamber and a standard full choke.  I have some older Federal flight control #5 that I am going to pattern, just wondering if anyone else has suggestions or experiences with a similar gun. 

jryser

For sure use lead. Honestly I bet you would find pretty good patterns with Longbeard XR. You can also date your shotgun here: https://www.browning.com/support/date-your-firearm/auto-5-semi-automatic-shotgun.html

Good luck!  I hunt with my Auto 5's as much as I can!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david.holmes111

Thanks jryser here is what I learned:

"Beginning with Serial Number 1 to approximately 228,000. Exact production figures are not available. Year of manufacture on Pre-World War II production is strictly a guess".

DP42912

jryser

I would avoid TSS unless you don't care what happens to the barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thedoveshooter

I have the same A5 (30" barrel, full choke) it was my great-grandpa's made in 1936.  I shy away from sure enough turkey loads and shoot some pheasant loads, just to be safer.  #5 or #6 and about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 oz. 

Bowguy

Imo the only post that made sense was the last one. I'd not use any modern turkey load. The gun is a classic why punish it/test it.
Turkey guns can be had relatively cheaply if you wanted to really get the "most from your hunts" in a sense. On the other hand you may get more w the old gun especially if it has sentimental value.
Me though if that was the case I'd still not use it every day, dragging it in the rain, scuffing it on rocks, etc n in general pounding it and I'd certainly be easy on it shell wise.