OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Where do you place your pot call when it's time for the shot?  (Read 13854 times)

Offline thunderbirder

As the title says, if you're using a pot call and the turkey approaches, where do you put the call and striker without making too much movement or noise?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Offline Spurs Up

Re: Where do you place your pot call when it's time for the shot?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 11:19:43 AM »
If using a pack, I usually slip the call into an open compartment of the pack. I place the pack between my legs as soon as I sit. If using a vest, generally on the ground. I've lost calls that were in opened pockets of my vest while running to a shot gobbler.

My bigger challenge seems to be reaching for and blindly retrieving the call after I've placed it down, but want to hit few more soft notes on a close bird.  A blind or low screen of vegetation usually helps to obscure my movement where possible.

Offline 30_06

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Esse quam videri
Where do you place your pot call when it's time for the shot?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 11:56:40 AM »
If I have done everything right and the bird is cooperating then it usually goes by my left leg on the ground with the striker on top.
I'm left handed so it allows me to shield my movement, and still have good access.

Esse quam videri

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 04:47:17 PM »
I do not use a pot call, but I do use a scratch box and/or box call quite frequently...  The box call is a lot easier to run without alerting birds.  The scratch box requires both hands, and is far more problematic than the box call.

Best scenario for me is to set up in front of a rock or fallen log...  I call behind the rock/log acts as a gun rest, and the obstruction of the rock/log hides any movement from calling.

Unfortunately, it is not always possible to find a spot with a good rock or log...  I use a large camouflage scarf draped over my knees with the call between my legs.  Balancing the gun on my leg while calling remains problematic for me though.

No matter the situation, calling at a close bird with a friction call (without alerting the bird) is tricky business.  I have yet to figure out the perfect solution.  I often end up finishing (or attempting to finish) birds with my mouth call...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 05:41:24 PM »
I set it on the ground, to my right.  I place it face up and have used it blindly on the ground if I think the bird is not responding to the mouth call. Most of the time though, by the time I set it down, I don't need it again.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline aaronc53

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 07:00:18 PM »
Pot calls are my favorite calls to use.  When a turkey is close enough, I just set the call on my left leg.  The striker stays in my right hand.  When I shoot, the call ends up laying where I was sitting. The striker is still in my hand.  I have misplaced a striker or 5 over the years with this method, but its not worth getting busted by a gobbler to secure my striker.

Offline MDSTRUTNRUT

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 10:12:29 PM »
Kids bought me a shirt for turkey hunting last year that has a vertical zippered pocket behind the left front breast pocket.   I can slip pot call right in there quick with much movement.   Had an OL TOM shirt years back that had the same type of pocket.  When not wearing that I lay it in my lap or set it to my right side and switch to a mouth call for the finish. 

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 01:32:10 PM »
I sit with my left leg up usually with the call on my right thigh and I keep the striker in my right hand while I shoot If one surprises me or in my lap by the pot call If I have time

Offline kjnengr

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 12:12:27 AM »
I am right handed.

I usually put the pot call and striker just to the right of my right leg on the ground. I've had to pick the call back up and place it on my thigh and call one or two more times a time or two.

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 11:07:52 AM »
I always lay a small dark green, black, or dark brown small towel beside me to place my stuff on.
Helps keep them quiet too.

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 05:31:35 PM »
I always lay a small dark green, black, or dark brown small towel beside me to place my stuff on.
Helps keep them quiet too.

^^^ THIS is a GREAT idea! I've often thought about grabbing a swatch of camo fleece and cutting into 12"x12" squares just for this (but I forget about it until the next time I'm putting my stuff on the ground, amongst the leaves, dirt, and twigs! lol).

I have learned (and forced myself) to always, always put my calls on my right side. I'm right handed and I often angle 45 degrees with left knee towards bird. As such, I also always spit left side.

One shot of tobacco onto a slate, and ohhh boy! Don't ask me how I know this. Just trust me...  ;D

But like others have said - when I'm putting it down, I'm 99% done with it. Mouthcall can handle the rest.

Offline Strutr

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »
I'm right-handed.  Once I see the bird is coming in, I usually slip my striker into my watch band/left sleeve and set the pot on the ground close to my right hip where I can easily find it without looking.  From there, the mouth call comes into play, if necessary. 

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Where do you place your pot call when it's time for the shot?
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 07:33:00 PM »
Very seldom do I have a slate when a bird comes in. When I know he is close the striker goes in my boot top and the slate goes in my lap. A diaghram call has been my bread and butter since I started  killing birds. I would give up every call in my arsenal for a good diaphram.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Longbeardfever4ever

• Limbhanger
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 08:54:42 AM »
Everything gets thrown on the ground usually! I hunt with my calls, so they get dinged up but that's okay with me!

I left a crow call and a striker in the woods the other week.  Went back to the same tree yesterday and they were still there  :TooFunny: So it can be kinda risky if you have a brain like mine.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

Offline WV TURKEY THUG

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 09:20:54 AM »
I use to lay the striker and pot on my lap until I lost a few strikers luckily never a pot, I think I get a little too excited after the bird starts flopping and I completely forget about it laying on my lap when I get up and take off sprinting to the bird to put my foot on him. Now I just lay it on the ground beside me and pick it up when I go back and get my empty shell.