OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Atv/Golfcart spooking?  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
Atv/Golfcart spooking?
« on: April 22, 2017, 10:19:20 PM »
Took my wife hunting (her first time) this afternoon. Went to a spot my dad had a run in with a tom he bumped earlier in the year. Not a bad bump. Came in behind him silent and he readjusted his gun a hair and heard/saw him take off. He has been a few more times, as have I so the bird has been called too a fair amount. We decided to cut out early around 5:30 with no luck after 3 hours or so and since  the grandparents had our little one. After we hopped back in the golfcart I got the urge to go check the field across the property line since I've seen birds out there from the highway recently. As soon as we rounded the corner and topped a hill, all we saw was the red head bobbing and hauling behind across the field. Clearly saw us and more then likely heard us coming. Odds he's in that vicinity in the morning? Never bumped one on a golfcart before that I know of but for what it's worth we run game cameras out there and frequent the area via golfcart all year long so I'm really not sure how to play this one. I'd really like to put her on her first bird, and the only other option I have is one that won't cooperate for the life of me.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Atv/Golfcart spooking?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 10:32:23 PM »
Just for added info it's much quieter then an ATV. Gas golfcart but is low noise. I normally walk in at the main lease, but it's a good haul into this one. She's also 5 months pregnant so I figured it was the least I could do for her first show of interest in turkey hunting.  :D
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 01:40:26 AM »
Turkey doesn't know the difference from ATV / 4 wh or a tractor in the field...so don't over think it...just keep hunting him...I've seem turkeys in the pasture with cows and my brother running the tractor...Just like loud airplanes or helicopter flying over...so i would think just because he spooked , it's still okkkk....

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 10:35:00 AM »
I got a polaris ranger electric cart this year. I have used it all season moving about our lease. I limited out with my 3 birds and there has been a total of 8 birds killed on it this year. I do stop a 100 yards or so from where im listening for or expect turkeys to be. I have had birds gobble as soon as i stop the cart also. This thing is a jewel to me for turkey hunting. I have seen no ill effects of using it to hunt  with.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 11:38:15 AM »
If they are used to it I would say its probably ok. However I have some friends who used to head out every morning on there ATV's to get back into where they wanted to hunt. They never tagged a bird until they stopped using the ATV's. If I run my machine across my property at all during turkey week I never see any birds around. Years I dont run the machine we see birds. Just an observation but I never even bring it anymore.

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 08:50:48 PM »
^ Here is a better idea. Read the entire post. Not going to make my pregnant wife at 6 months walk over a mile mostly uphill, and as I stated I personally do walk in at our main lease and anywhere else I go during the season. Not familiar with how a bird reacts to a cart spooking them, because I've never done it. This bird is for her. If she wants to go I will get her out there every chance I can and however is best for her. Her hunt, not mine. Everyone else I appreciate the info!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:59:32 PM by Coop1082 »
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 09:35:29 PM »
My impression is, is that any disturbance that is new to the birds will likely put them off...

This year, the properties I hunt, the roads are washed out, and I am taking in my quad, and parking it where I would normally park my truck...

First morning out, I parked some distance away from where I was hunting, but could see my quad from the hill I was hunting...  Looked to me that I parked right under a roost, and by about 7:30 am my quad was surrounded by hens and jakes.  Driving out later that morning, I drove right past a couple of hens (like 20 yards) and they barely looked up at me...  To my knowledge, nobody else is driving a quad around up there.

Second property I hunt is far steeper, and I take the quad in about 1.5 miles, and walk another mile.  I did kill a nice bird on that property.

I ain't up to walking in 2 miles in hilly country, so I take the quad, knowing it probably hurts my chances (especially on wary toms), but I would rather hunt than stay home, and I would rather take the quad  than kill myself walking in and out.

My advice, take the wife...  Park as far away as possible and as close as necessary to make the hunt enjoyable for her...  You have a better chance of killing a bird using the cart than you do staying at home.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 09:48:40 PM »
I appreciate it Marc, and fully agree on the rather hunt then stay home. I've hunted this piece a few times  this year, and even for me at 27 and in pretty good shape  it can whoop my tail walking in to get where I need to go. As far as a morning hunt would go, we would be a fair 200 yards from where we are going, but it's about the only option for her. She might not got him and the cart might cause harm,, but I'll certainly enjoy the time regardless.
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 01:18:08 PM »
use your cart. It will be fine and im speaking from experience. good luck
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 06:21:25 AM »
I used my quad getting to my field this year and literally heard the birds gobbling on the roost as soon as I turned it off. They came to the field without hesitation every time. We are in that field a lot with different equipment so maybe they are used to it.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline Forked lighting

Atv/Golfcart spooking?
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 01:31:21 PM »
Atv doesn't bother them that much I'm 69 cant walk like I use to, I ride one the farm is 800 acre,s parked last year at one of my listening spots 2 gobbled as soon as I cut it off walked probably 20 yards sat called them up killed 1 of them I dont run headlights an i don't ride in wide open just use common sense have killed a bunch sitting in site of the 4wheeler

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk