News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Hen Decoy ????

Started by Natty Bumpo, April 20, 2017, 07:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natty Bumpo

Guys:

Have been hunting with Delta decoys, which are now 10 yr +/- old and pretty outdated. 

Looking at Avion-X or Montana brands for a new standing hen. Is there a consensus on OG on which is best, most lifelike  for most situations ?? Hunt a lot of small food plots, small clearings in the woods, woods roads, etc. Let's hear it...............

(Don't see a thread on this in last 3 months on this) THKS

NB

2eagles

It's more for you than the turkey. Turkeys seem to decoy to anything when they're in the mood. Won't come to a live hen if they don't want to. Question is what do you want to watch while you're waiting for Tommy? I use AvianX because I like them. And because they work. I really don't think I could do any better with the famous DSD!

HFultzjr

I love my Montana Miss-Purrfect.

gobblerhead

Check out deception decoys. Better than an Avian-x and not quite as expensive as DSD but just as good or even better. Have had the Avian and every one of em has broke that thin membrane where stake holds the decoy up, thus they wont hold air.
Gobble Gobble Gobble.........BOOOM.....Gobble Gobble Gobble!!!

captpete

I have never used or seen in person the montana decoys. I did have the hen & jake Avian-X decoys. I didn't like them, because it felt like a was carrying over sized basketballs. Mine were when they first came out...I think they have changed some since then, but not sure. You do have the ability to deflate them, but it was a pain in the rear to blow them up when it was time to hunt. I ended up getting DSD's. They don't seem to be as bulky/heavy as the Avian's.

2eagles

Quote from: captpete on April 20, 2017, 10:58:34 AM
I have never used or seen in person the montana decoys. I did have the hen & jake Avian-X decoys. I didn't like them, because it felt like a was carrying over sized basketballs. Mine were when they first came out...I think they have changed some since then, but not sure. You do have the ability to deflate them, but it was a pain in the rear to blow them up when it was time to hunt. I ended up getting DSD's. They don't seem to be as bulky/heavy as the Avian's.

The new Avians are nothing like the old ones. They are smaller and if deflated, can be blown back up with one or two puffs of air. Yeah, we all know you need DSD to kill turkeys. Lol

captpete

Quote from: 2eagles on April 20, 2017, 11:40:35 AM

The new Avians are nothing like the old ones. They are smaller and if deflated, can be blown back up with one or two puffs of air. Yeah, we all know you need DSD to kill turkeys. Lol

Never said you needed DSD's to kill a turkey. I just prefer them over what I experienced with Avian-X and that is what I shared.

Natty Bumpo

THANKS for the replies. Helpful, for sure.

NB   :thanks:

2eagles

Quote from: captpete on April 20, 2017, 01:37:45 PM
Quote from: 2eagles on April 20, 2017, 11:40:35 AM

Never said you needed DSD's to kill a turkey. I just prefer them over what I experienced with Avian-X and that is what I shared.

Nope just having a little fun! It's a Chevy / Ford kinda thing. Happy hunting.

Marc

I have a DSD leading hen, and an Avain X 1/4 strutt jake...

The DSD is a better decoy no doubt.  More durable, and the stake system (with the stake stored quietly in the decoy) cannot be beat.

The Avain is a very realistic decoy, but the valve on mine keeps going south.  They have replaced them, but it is a pain.  Customer service with Avian X is very good...

I'd also take a hard look at Deception decoys (I believe American made):
http://www.deceptionoutdoors.com/decoys/

And another premium decoy in the waterfowl world that also makes turkey decoys is RCD (I have no idea on the cost here):
https://www.facebook.com/Replica-Decoy-Company-579791938799443/

I have some RCD goose decoys, and they are the most realist goose decoy I have seen (including DSD).  I cannot speak to the realism of their turkey decoys though...  They are American made

Personally, I prefer a more realistic decoy...  I also have no doubt that that realism is more important to my own confidence than it is to the turkey.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

76chevy

DSD decoys are the best only second to a taxidermy bird decoy.

I only run DSD decoys

MK M GOBL

I have a whole thread dedicated to DSD, all kinds of things I could explain about decoys, body position and setting them up "Right"

For a first "hen" I would have a DSD Upright.

You can read some here...
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.0.html

MK M GOBL

Gobble Nole

I personally own two Avian X decoys and will begin replacing them this off season with DSD decoys. 

DSD decoys are so much lighter and easier to carry to me...

If it were me I would spend the extra $30 and get DSD...

Seminoleturkey

I have been a an avian x fan for a while but I'm tired of them falling apart .my avian x full strut gobbler fell apart the whole tail section that clamp the fan on just fell off .all three of my hens leak down .finally bought a DSD jake and will be purchasing the entire flock this season .DSD is easily worth the $$$ over avian x

Bowguy

DSD. Really is the most lifelike and they aren't made in China nor do they need to be blown up like Avian. Avian is decent I will say but the whole air leaks thing worries me. Idk why they blow up no one ever deflated them on purpose so why not make em hard