OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Last Week  (Read 2158 times)

Offline NFW

Last Week
« on: April 17, 2017, 09:52:50 PM »
So here in FL season ends this weekend. Ive hunted the big forest here for 2 years last year i learned a lot for this area not crazy pressure, lots of birds and at least heard a bird every time i went. This year should have probably killed 2 but 1st opportunity was my fault (tried to move on him and cracked a limb then had to go to work). 2nd the cons of taking somebody that doesn't really have a turkey gun(and turkey slipped in on his side).

Since that weekend which was the 2nd weekend i haven't one yet which i know theres birds in the area at least 2. Its been 3 weeks since I've even heard one in several spots and don't know if they are just done in the forest or what, yet my buddies plantation they are still going. All I've seemed to be able to call in are a bunch of hens (8). Any tips to hunt these birds or should i start from scratch and try and find a bird thats gobbling in the last week. Which means i gotta to put some serious boots on the ground to even find some. At that hope to even hear one at this point.

Any advice for the last week. I don't know about y'all i get pissed when i can't even kill one in a season.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
Re: Last Week
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 11:18:29 PM »
I would try my darndest to hunt my buddies plantation...

Asside from that, I get rather discouraged when I do not hear any gobbling in the morning...  Tough for me to imagine that there are willing birds if nothing is gobbling on the roost.  I would seek out a vocal bird somewhere.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline NFW

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 09:11:23 PM »
So I was on a mission to find a bird to hunt in the morning today. I walked 10.2 miles probably drove at least 30 miles. Don't really know how to approach this I probably found 30 hens and not a single gobbler track on the paths/roads. My very spot I might have heard one on the roost but he was far off and couldn't get to him fast enough to actually confirm it. I know there's hens in the area but so is everywhere else I went today. Does anyone think I should try that spot or another spot that there should be birds since I know there was a few there from last year and kinda know to hunt them.

Offline NFW

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 09:39:17 PM »
paid off found 3 this morning, while another hunter messed me up on the closer bird, just glad  to hear one gobble again and will be hard after em friday through the weekend and hope it works out.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 07:35:54 PM »
Sounds like you may be hunting the same place as me.  Especially if you put that many miles on.  My brother heard one today too, hot footed around to where he was and there was a truck there already.  had to look for another bird.  Not everyone in these parts does that, they just move in on top of ya. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline NFW

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 07:25:01 PM »
That's the damn truth. Especially the area is so big idk why they insist on gettin up on ya after they hear you calling to a bird.

But next morning got in his bubble where he roosted the night before, but didn't hear any of those birds again, as I was walking crossed over a ridge and saw a big gobble run off in the bottom. And that pretty much summed up the rest of my season. Forgot what tag soup tastes like. Might get the chance and go up to GA or MS to kill one but both those end this weekend as well so just have to see.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 08:16:31 PM »
GA runs to May 15th, right? 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline NFW

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 09:39:17 AM »
That it does, but to my knowledge not too many wma close enough, banking on a buddy to take me to his place up there.