OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Forcing cone lengthen  (Read 9063 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Forcing cone lengthen
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 02:52:22 AM »
forcing cone work is done to reduce recoil...you are flipping a coin to see what happens to your pattern. usually nothing drastic. but it does not in all circumstances improve the pattern and in some instances it goes the other direction.

Idk what the theory behind it is now but I started doing this in the 80s. Back than Mark Basner was the shotgun man. The cones were opened not for a reduction in recoil, it was to improve pattern. You did lose slight velocity though. Since than I’ve had and still have multiple guns that way. No way it could ever hurt having a gentler entry into a barrel as opposed to rattling its way to a start.
I’ve never seen things get worse. When Mark did em for me I’d send him barrels. They always improved.
Now as I said I don’t buy guns now without it so I can’t compare before and after like that. Many guns come elongated though when turkey specific or just wing shooting type guns also have em lengthened.
Ithaca, Browning, Mossberg, Fabarms to name a few off top of my head

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 03:54:49 AM »
I agree...it can improve the pattern, and we do it in hopes that it will....but it don't always....and that is proven. Ive seen a few barrel guys claim that they gurantee they can make it improve . Maybe they can, maybe they cant. I actually just took a chance and let a different guy do a second barrel for me. I cant tell the difference between his work and my original barrel other than the fact that he did it and had my barrel back to my house in about 10 days.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2020, 03:23:44 PM »
Prob has something to do w shells too. W all the technology today idk what all the factors involved might be. Some of the wads hang on til a bit down range, the buffering stays intact and breaks upon hitting choke, even dif buffer types. Than add TSS, stuff is supposedly really hard, less likely to deform. Bet all those variables come into play.
I shoot lead still

Offline ahfox16

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2020, 07:25:00 AM »
I sent a 870 several years ago to Briley to lengthen the forcing cones.  Patterns got worse for me.  I wouldn't do it again for sure.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2021, 08:56:22 AM »
I am having a single barrel nef threaded for rem-choke and plan on shooting Winchester Longbeards since these are already protected by a resin I was just wondering what yalls opinion is on having forcing cone lengthened will it help or is it just a waste of money..

Works well for me and I use LongBeards exclusively.   :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2022, 01:50:04 AM »
I have been told by several shotgun barrel guys/Gunsmith that lengthening the forcing cones; shortened the shot-string. I have done it myself to a bunch of barrels. All of them with positive results for sure. Also done it to chrome lined barrels.
Browning/Winchester has back bored barrels which is essentially the same thing, as I understand it.

Have a good one
Bo

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.