OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Public WMA access denied/ how to handle?

Started by SpurNJ, April 16, 2017, 03:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

Agree - contact your local officer AGAIN. Ask the officer to visit the neighboring landowner(s) as they are the ones in the wrong and YOU are the complainant now.

The officer can remove the signs, return them to the neighbor, warn them against littering and damage to public property (assuming they are nailed to trees).

CMBOSTC

Agreed, also keep in mind that public game lands are open to everyone. Those no trespassing signs are also keeping out others who have a right to hunt there. Those signs should be removed so that others can hunt and not question themselves on whether they are trespassing or not.

Uvagobbler

I would try to have the conservation officer meet with you and talk to the landowners in person. Let him  breakdown the law and explain that their are consequences if they post the wma property and hinder you from hunting it. Let him do all the talking and keep a cool head.

WisTurk

I agree with the others that the warden or CO or whomever should meet you out there and straighten the situation out with both you and the upset land owner, so everyone is on the same page and so there are no future incidents like this as well.  You have just as much right to that property as anyone else without being harassed over it.

sixbird

It seems that this is fairly common in N.J. I was chased off of one WMA by a neighbor because I had inadvertently parked where I shouldn't have. In the "conversation", I said I'd be back and hunting there (although not parking there) and he said that he'd call L/E on me...I'm a little embarrassed to say I didn't go back.
I've seen a number of WMA's, especially the smaller ones with the WMA signs torn down. I have a friend who knows the areas better than me and he says that's pretty much standard operating procedure. Been my experience that he's right...

Bowguy

Man I'm happy I'm in a part of NJ that this doesn't happen. I'm polite but hate taking steps backward especially if someone thinks they're gonna impose their will on me when they're wrong. Get onx maps app. It'll give you gps tax maps. If it is state n it must be the co told you that you call LE n sign a hunter harassment complaint. Insist on it! It's illegal in NJ to prevent or interfere w the lawful taking of game.
I understand trying to be cordial but we paid and still pay for it.

I'd have returned to hunt the wma too. Prob w some loud barkin dogs. Maybe took a loud Harley to scout. They didn't want you to hunt near them, they shouldn't have moved next to a wma. Now respect the boundaries but it's your right to access it if it's legal.

There is a wma about an hour from me. The yuppie yups have money n complained enough the shotgun training range is closed in summer., sound barriers were put up too. Crazy n maybe this is the one you're speaking of.

Don't tell me the wma but what part of state is it?

fallhnt

Sounds like a bunch of a- holes out East

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Marc

Quote from: SpurNJ on April 16, 2017, 03:37:27 PM
Hi All

A little help requested.

Looking to access a verified WMA and only access is between a small maybe 50ft gap between private properties.

Neighbors have marked it with Private Property and no hunting signs... but you can see WMA signs there as well marking road access.

Went to scout there and a neighbor came out and walked over to truck and told me there's no access...  I was cordial and told them I understood and left..

Called and spoke to a local CO and verified that there is access..   what to do??

Print out all land info (prop-boundaries from google maps)? And bring with me?  Not really looking to be an a**. But it is in my right..  not looking to make hunters look bad also.

What are experiences from all with this?  How'd you handle it?

Thank you

I replied earlier to this thread, and am wondering what happened?  Did the issue get resolved?

This is a relevant issue for many of us on the forum, so please let us know what happens.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

HFultzjr

As long as I didn't have a kid or an "older" person with me...............GO FOR IT!
As long as you are sure you are being legal, they have no rights.
If you are worried about vehicle damage, a trailcam or 2, placed appropriately should catch them in action.
Place a couple cheapies to cover your vehicle and have at it.
If it gets out of control, don't get physical, just call the local police and let them handle it.

:fud: :OGani:

Poleaxe

GOOD GOD. If you followed some of these suggestions you'd get to hunt next year maybe. If your certain and like you said your CO said it was public. Park and hunt it and put a trail cam viewing your truck so if any neighbor does anything you'll have evidence. Along with a note on the window.

CMBOSTC

Neither of these last two replies actually solve the problem though. It's not about just one man, it's about the rights of all hunters. When issues like this arise, we must stop thinking as individuals and more as united hunters. If not, we are going to continue to lose our rights.

Bowguy

If it's public access they can't deny you unless you listen to what they tell you. The meek may inherit the earth but they're also kept from hunting public areas. Make sure it's legal n just go. I'd actually get a kick out of the foot stomping when you disobeyed them. Heck I wish I could do it

EZ

I'd say to make the CO do his job. Very interested to see how this turns out.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: Bowguy on April 19, 2017, 09:04:39 AM
If it's public access they can't deny you unless you listen to what they tell you. The meek may inherit the earth but they're also kept from hunting public areas. Make sure it's legal n just go. I'd actually get a kick out of the foot stomping when you disobeyed them. Heck I wish I could do it

Bowguy, it's not that I don't understand and that I don't agree with you because I would want to do the same thing. The problem that I see that maybe you don't is if you have to place a camera by your truck to catch someone vandalizing it for going hunting, there's a problem! To my knowledge, the CO hasn't went to the actual location. Memories can be fickle sometime. The hunter could get charged with trespassing if he or the CO is wrong (especially if the CO hasn't visited the site. You know that the CO may change his story after an incident happens). Bad publicity for hunters is bad for our future.

Bowguy

I get it, trust me. The anti sentiment in the state has people hating guns, hunting, etc. they always try to force their will on others n if they're wrong I'd love to see em squirm when you walked right past em. Just the way they squirmed n cried on pillows when Trump won.
No arguments in any area here. I'm just sick of the libtards. Respecting a person is one thing, I agree w it. Imposing their will on me and I'm not stepping back.
You're right about the camera as it's proof but imo they're going to do nothing but call the cops. If they're wrong, let em picket Trenton