OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Success... Despite myself.  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
Success... Despite myself.
« on: April 15, 2017, 11:19:05 PM »
Having played with a bunch of jakes, and not seeing any adult birds, I decided to try a different area.  It is far steeper terrain, with a much lower turkey density, but ya’ never know.
I ended up going way into the canyon chasing a gobble, and then even further chasing another set of gobbles.  It sounded like I had two different and separate birds working me, and they both toyed with me for about 1 hour…  Then I had an hour of dead silence.

I decided to side-hill out and chase the original bird I had heard that was on my walk out…  Following a brush-line, I clucked and lightly yelped with my mouth call as I made my way up and out.  As I got to the end of the brush-line, I gave one last series of aggressive yelps, and BAM!  A very close gobble.
Apparently the grass was far taller than I thought, cause all the sudden I saw the tail-fan of a mature bird in the tall grass about 50 yards in front of me.  I got a decent look at him as he popped into a little gully.

When he popped out, he was way off to my left, and uphill (but still coming in my direction).  As he went behind a tree I shifted my gun position (actually resting on my left knee now).  I lost sight of him in the grass, and my gun slipped off me knee.

I could not see him, but he obviously saw me. He putted as his head came up (about 35 yards away).  I fired hastily, and apparently missed, cause his head came up again…  I fired again, and this time it disappeared for good.  Somewhat embarrassing degree of success.

As you can see, I get to hunt some pretty country, and quite a bit greener that what I have seen in other posts…

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
Re: Success... Despite myself.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 11:24:49 PM »
Sorry, meant to post on the main forum...  It will not let me remove the post.  Anyone know how to move it?
Did I do that?

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 07:14:44 AM »
Nice!!

In case this doesn't move to the general forum - you can keep it as a tip: be ready for a follow up shot! Lol

Offline renegade19

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 07:51:14 AM »
 :icon_thumright:

CMBOSTC

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 02:02:15 PM »
It is an entertaining story and somewhat funny, but no need to be embarrassed! Funny happens when hunting sometimes. Good bird and gorgeous country.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 11:16:21 PM »
Nice!!

In case this doesn't move to the general forum - you can keep it as a tip: be ready for a follow up shot! Lol

The whole ordeal took me by surprise...

For the life of me, I cannot understand why he did not come in on my original set up...  I am fairly certain he was alone (and he had a distinctive gobble).  He came close several times, and then wandered off again.  Admittedly I took the route I did in hopes of "arousing" his curiosity.   Apparently when he thought that hen was leaving, he figured he would cut her off.

My main tip from this experience would be to avoid shooting at a bird when only his head is sticking up (at least when using a standard shotgun bead).  I know I shot above him the first shot...  In order to put the pattern on him, I had to put the bead in the grass just below his head.  Tough to make yourself "aim" off the bird

If you do shoot at a birds head poking up (using a standard shotgun bead), put the gun where you want to, and then lower it a smidge.

The other bird I missed some years ago was far closer, but behind a small knoll...  He poked his head up, and the fact that I did not hit the hill he was behind, I have to assume that I shot over him as well.  I would have had to put the bead in the dirt to hit him, and that is awful hard (for me) to do.
Did I do that?