OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jakes vs Tom'scalling

Started by upnorth, April 15, 2017, 02:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnorth

Do Tom's usually do lot more gobbling than Toms?

fallhnt

They gobble to attract hens

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

upnorth

I better rephrase it. I just wonder if Jakes call a lot less than Toms,it sure seems like it?

Happy

Typically jakes are not to agressive as far as gobbling goes. If there are toms on the area then they typically get put in there place early in the spring. However jakes have been known to beat down the older toms if they can gang up on them. Then you can't shut them up.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

upnorth

I could see that if a jake starts gobbling too much a gobbler might shut him up?

Happy

If things are "normal " then yes to an extent. Jakes often band together and hang on the outskirts of a flock. If a jake gets frisky with the ladies around a tom Wil generally set things straight.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Ihuntoldschool

No Tom's and Toms normally gobble the same amount.

Ihuntoldschool

Oh you mean Jakes and Toms.   Jakes are unpredictable and that is a huge understatement.  Most of the time, jakes are more likely to come silently to calling than toms. Jakes may have little to no interest in hen calling during the Spring of the year.  If Toms are near to the jakes, then jakes will likely gobble only when the Toms are also gobbling if at all. When the Toms get quiet, don't expect the jakes to gobble.

As a general rule, I hear more jake gobbling early in the Spring before peak breeding and then again later in the Spring after most hens have been bred and Toms that were in the area are either dead or have moved on in search of new hens when their hens quit breeding. The jakes seem to be well aware of the presence or lack thereof of mature gobblers. I don't hear much jake gobbling during the peak breeding periods.

Marc

My experiences are completely different...  I am hunting Rio's or hybrids in CA.

I have found jakes to be more vocal.  They might finish quiet, but it seems easier to get them to gobble, and I have found them to be very vocal on the roost.

This season, maybe cause the toms simply are not around, or maybe the jakes have just bulllied them out of the area, but the jakes have all come in gobbling hard and strutting.  I will say that generally, that toms do come in strutting more frequently than do jakes.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.