OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite two decoy setup?

Started by Coop1082, April 14, 2017, 10:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coop1082

Just for curiosity sake how do you guys like to run a two deke setup? Never been much of a decoy guy, but hit a pretty good deal, or so I thought on the Primos Gobbstopper set at a local store for 30 bucks. It's a quarter-strut jake and a hen that can be positioned three ways. Upright, feeding, submissive. Used a few times this year with fair results. No spooked birds, but the two on the board were without the decoys (thick timber). However I do hunt a powerline right of way on one piece and on my last post talked about attempting  to decoy a stubborn bird on it to no avail, but just today I got access to a place that has a very large field, and from the owners word birds are in all day long. Question is mainly on what position for the hen? Do you guys prefer upright, feeding, or submissive even paired with a jake? And if any tips on what to do with the jake, I'm all ears!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

houagie

im not a big fan of decoys being a run and gun type guy but from my experience using decoys for youth hunts and such i find the hen posture doesn't really matter.  the toms will be more attracted to the jake for the most part depending on which part of the breeding your in in your area.

fallhnt

This

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Marc

I agree with your assessment on hunting open areas with decoys; I do feel that they help.

I typically use the combination of a 1/4 or 1/2 strutting jake with some sort of upright-type hen.  I actually use a DSD leading hen.

Two reasons that I would prefer an upright-type hen when only using one hen decoy:

1) Better visibility in the terrain I hunt, and the better chance of pulling in birds from further distances.
2) I have had a number of times, where the hens come into that hen decoy to challenge for dominance, and pull in toms with them...  Maybe a feeder would accomplish the same thing, maybe not.

Although, honestly, I doubt it will make a difference what brand, posture, etc., of decoys you use...  Given the right circumstances, most times decoys and calling together will either work, or not...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

ALfwlmth

If I use them it's the Avian 1/2 Strutter Jake over the hen. Don't use them any other way. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk