OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Thinking about sleeping in....  (Read 3431 times)

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
Thinking about sleeping in....
« on: April 14, 2017, 07:06:30 PM »
Ain't no sense in going before daybreak.
I've never been this far into season and been this quite .
I'm confused. Birds are there. Sign everywhere. I've called up several into sight.
Today was my 4th morning and I finally heard a roost Gobble.
It was on a different place but I could get across the holler from him.
That's what I planned to do because that's the only bird I heard besides a few hens just below me.
Well he had Gobble probably 20 times and at 5 minutes till 6 some Googan shot him off the limb.

Now I've got to find one that will Gobble. I finally got an answer but I couldn't pin point it through the hills and hollers. After a few set ups here and there listening and calling some I figured I'd head to the other side I killed last week.  I stopped before I reached a ridge and called and one about blew me down.
I raced 40 yards backwards and set down. All I need is him to come out of that property and around the bend in the log road on our side and he's in range. Got set up called he hammered then I heard him drumming.
This was 8:00 o'clock. I can see him he's in full Strut 80 yards away.
100+ gobbles and 2 hours later we are still locked in battle. He stood his ground and wasn't budging. I scratched leaves until they were powder and I called and called. He was firm in where he stood. I watched him through the monocular quite a bit. He is a beautiful animal.
He gobbled and drummed so much my ears rung.
He actually gobbled up a hen and I watched him breed her. After he was done we went back to war. It's now 10:30 and my tail is numb.
Finally he eased out of sight and that allowed me to get up. I made a dash back behind me and headed down the holler and up the other side. I had a place in mind I could kill him. Unfortunately he had that spot in his mind to because we got there at the same time. I could have gotten a shot off on him at 20 yards but I didn't want to kill him like that after he handed me my hind end for as long as he did.
He flew to the bottom and I plan to be in earshot of him at daylight.
I moved on to the tree I killed the boss man last Saturday and shed some clothes, cut some saplings out that almost messed me up Saturday and called my wife and checked on my boy who wasn't feeling well. I hung up with her and replied to a text from MickThompson
It's now 10:50. I ran the Sassy Ceramic and laid it down and got comfortable.
Heard footsteps coming in the leaves and assumed deer since I had just busted several when I crest the hill.
I yelped on my mouth call real soft just incase.
Steps are closer and louder and then a loud Drum followed. Game time drum drum drum and then I see him strutting he's in some brush fixing to cross over to our side and I seen his buddy who is already across with his head run up. I switched to the 5's in the Longbeard since I killed the last one because I haven't killed with them yet. They smashed him at 33 yards.
I didn't kill the strutter so maybe he will be easier to call up again. Hard to say but I had that feeling in my gut so I stuck with it.
Killed him at 11:00. Called my wife back and she said have you done killed one? Yep Lol gotta love 2 year olds!
Tag #2 and both mid morning kills from the same tree one at 10:00 and the other 11:00 therefore I probably should start sleeping in lol!
21.3 pounds
9" beard
7/8" Spurs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline backforty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Thinking about sleeping in....
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 09:31:41 PM »
Love the birds that make you work
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Offline darn2ten

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 10:23:20 PM »
Good deal, way to stick in out! Sleeping in sounds dang good about right now, Put in about 12 hours laying wood floors today. I'm freaking whipped! I'll be regretting it if I don't get up and get after them in the morning, so I reckon I better get me some shut eye. Congrats on the bird buddy!

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 11:07:44 PM »
Good deal, way to stick in out! Sleeping in sounds dang good about right now, Put in about 12 hours laying wood floors today. I'm freaking whipped! I'll be regretting it if I don't get up and get after them in the morning, so I reckon I better get me some shut eye. Congrats on the bird buddy!
Yikes I bet you are
Good luck tomorrow

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 07:56:24 AM »
It's hard for me to sleep in. Right now a Jake would be in trouble. Never seen anything like it.

Offline TNTRKYHunter

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 10:46:33 AM »
Congrats on a great hunt. Way to stick with them. Great job.

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 03:15:17 PM »
The only sleeping in I'm doing is sleeping in the woods. Rather be woken by a gobble than not be in the woods at all.

It has been too quiet here too. This morning was great, birds gobbled a lot, but they did what I knew they would...flew down to private field and went off and away. They gobbled good on the ground too but eventually things went quiet.

Enjoying lunch in the A/C before heading back out...

Offline darn2ten

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 04:24:30 PM »
Well, getting out paid off this morning at 7:50. Pics and upgrade to come.