OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Setting up & Clippers  (Read 9880 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Setting up & Clippers
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 10:25:10 PM »
I hunt state land a lot and that is a definite no no here in N.Y. They can fine you big time for it if they choose to and in N.Y. they pretty much always do. You can't even break a twig off, if there is even a hint of green leaf on the entire branch or you will get fined. Just something to think about. I do use them on private land though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 12:06:23 AM »
Gun, shells, face mask, thermacell and trimmers are must takes on every trip for me.

I use them more than I use my gun!  I wish it were not true.  :-[

Good list...  But toilette paper makes it on mine as well.  I look at toilette paper as I do a gun for self-defense...  I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 11:25:51 AM »
I hunt state land a lot and that is a definite no no here in N.Y. They can fine you big time for it if they choose to and in N.Y. they pretty much always do. You can't even break a twig off, if there is even a hint of green leaf on the entire branch or you will get fined. Just something to think about. I do use them on private land though.

That is both interesting,...and silly.  First of all, vegetation everywhere is always growing,...and then dying.  The idea that a hunter cutting a few branches off to improve a set-up is somehow affecting the landscape is absurd.  Secondly, people walking around in the woods break off as many living branches,...or crush vegetation,...as much or more than any clipper-bearing hunter.  Thirdly, that is one of those laws that is fundamentally unenforceable,...unless the agent actually witnessed somebody doing it. 

Personally, unless somebody could actually demonstrate to me that clipping a few twigs was causing any harm, I would ignore that rule.  It is kind of like the rules in some places that say you can't "relieve yourself" in the woods without finding a "facility".  Fat chance that is going to happen,...at least for this old boy!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 08:22:33 PM »

That is both interesting,...and silly.  First of all, vegetation everywhere is always growing,...and then dying.  The idea that a hunter cutting a few branches off to improve a set-up is somehow affecting the landscape is absurd.  Secondly, people walking around in the woods break off as many living branches,...or crush vegetation,...as much or more than any clipper-bearing hunter.  Thirdly, that is one of those laws that is fundamentally unenforceable,...unless the agent actually witnessed somebody doing it. 

Personally, unless somebody could actually demonstrate to me that clipping a few twigs was causing any harm, I would ignore that rule.  It is kind of like the rules in some places that say you can't "relieve yourself" in the woods without finding a "facility".  Fat chance that is going to happen,...at least for this old boy!
I agree it seems stupid but it does happen and I can understand why they don't want people doing it, kinda why they don't want one person cutting down a tree for CHRISTmas, if one does it soon there will be nothing left theory. The rules states "Unauthorized cutting of live trees or new trail building is prohibited." https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/44115.html There have been people fined for it. I took some kids to their hunters training course this past fall and the DEC officer (Department of Environmental Conservation Officer) even spoke on it as a matter of fact. He is the one said if it has any green left on it at all even if down to leave it alone.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline CtRider

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 08:32:07 PM »
Learned this tip from mentor in the beginning and love my Fiskar ratchet pruners

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 12:15:41 PM »
Thanks for reminding me I need a new pair

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2018, 08:30:49 PM »
I carry them. Here in Pa. you can get caught up in Multiflora Rose its a killer for sure itll rip your camo up pretty good. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline dejake

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 03:43:25 AM »
Am I the only one that already has their spots cleared and ready to go?

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 11:14:16 AM »

Big woods hunters don't have "spots." One large tracks of public ground, not unusual to trek several miles each way uncharted and unseen chasing a gobbling turkey.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline dejake

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 03:27:58 AM »
One tract I hunt is 2,500 acres, and the same areas produce year after year.

Offline CtRider

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2018, 06:45:18 AM »
Public land to me means having to adjust when other hunters are nearby. Also not leaving a prime spot ready for someone else to move into.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 02:19:20 PM »

Not at all.  I hunt two small tracts and have areas that are pre brushed every year.  If a bird gobbles nearby, I have a seat.  One of those spots I have hunted for probably 15 years and have killed a bunch of gobblers.  It looks out over a field and is impossible to get to if they are not on the limb without a big risk of spooking them. So I often start there and move along as needed.  Have sat down many times and called one off the nearby roost without ever moving.  It works, I don't spook birds off the small tract (350 acres). 

At my even smaller lease, we have several pre brushed blinds we sit down in prior to flydown. head in when it is pitch black and start there.  Then move accordingly.  Works very well and saves us walking past roosted birds that have not yet gobbled and messing up one of the other hunters on the lease (all family).  Works for us.

In the WMA I hunt, never.  If I do brush out a spot for a late morning sit (when I have heard no gobbles but know a bird uses the area), I am always very careful to make sure I knock it down. No free intel.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline kiltman

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2018, 11:35:52 AM »
 I also always carry hand clippers.  I actually have two of them.  One is always in my turkey vest and the other is with my deer hunting equipment.  It's amazing how great a spot looks when standing up. Then you sit down and pow!  weeds everywhere.

Offline BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 03:41:18 PM »
Best extra weight you can carry in a vest imo are lightweight ratchet clippers.
Phil 4:13

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2018, 09:20:40 AM »
Definitely something good to have. Can be used to make a makeshift blind as well.