OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Setting up & Clippers

Started by Flounder, April 14, 2017, 05:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flounder

Went this morning and thought about this for beginners.
I keep a small set of clippers in my fanny pack and almost always use them to trim small branches out of my way. No noise,very quiet and helps fine tune my setups when time allows.
I know this is something else to carry but I don't leave home without them. You can turn an ok setup into a good one.

SFCSNOW

Yep. I also take advantage of some of the foliage I may trim and use it for cover out front.  Nothing better than a few well placed palmetto fronds to hide small movements. Usually use two about three feet in front of me. Close enough for overlapping coverage. Clear shot between them or swing to either side. Pruners go with me to the woods every trip. Scouting, hunting, checking cams...

outdoors

HEY CLIPPERS IS PART OF MY LUGGAGE WHEN I Go IN THE WOODS   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

TauntoHawk

I just told my father that besides the shotgun and a mouth call the next piece of gear I'd take is a pair of clippers

Very useful

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

renegade19

Me too.  Sometimes, I trade them out for a folding saw but they're for sure quieter and usually quicker.

Ericbrooks

Yep! I carry my small fiskers as well. Great advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tennessee Lead

My EZ KUTS are a great piece of equipment to have in the vest. I've used them on each hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geechie

My pair of clippers is one of the most used tools in my vest. From cutting to make quick blind material or to clear shooting lanes. Happens all the time,  I sit down and one or two branches bother me until I cut them.

Sevenyearsandcounting

My dad stuffed a heavy duty pair of clippers in my vest for clearing brush and if lucky enough cutting tags and turkey bone.

g8rvet

Gun, shells, face mask, thermacell and trimmers are must takes on every trip for me.

I use them more than I use my gun!  I wish it were not true.  :-[
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

TRG3

I agree with others that they do add a little more weight to carry to the field, but then again you don't have to worry about brush obscuring you view from the location you've chosen as your set-up spot. In the three Southern Illinois seasons this spring, I used the clippers at least once in every season from clearing a shooting lane to snipping sprouts to place by my decoys to keep them from spinning in the wind. Clippers are much more handy than a saw unless you've got a 1" diameter tree to remove, etc. I suppose that you could also create a brushy blind if need be.

Natty

Me too. Always carry clippers with me.

LaLongbeard

Gotta have the clippers. Trimming brush or adding some to breakup your outline.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

GobbleNut

This is definitely one of those items that you don't know how beneficial they are until you start carrying them and using them.  They make all the difference in the world in terms of making a bad or so-so set-up into a great one.  Wouldn't be without 'em.

paboxcall

Agree - priceless if you need to sit down quick and make a couple adjustments.

I use these all day long sometimes. If hunting a location with heavy thorns and briar bushes, having them handy allows you to cut your way through. Countless times chasing birds down over side hills I end up swallowed up in thorn bushes and need to cut my way through or out.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer