OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How do I approach a flock?  (Read 2061 times)

Offline thunderbirder

How do I approach a flock?
« on: April 13, 2017, 04:10:40 PM »
So I have been scouting my friend's land in the evening, and was able to locate a flock of 15 hens and 6 big strutters in the open field with patches of trees bordering the field. The strutters were really working those hens. And in the corner, 100 yards from the big flock, I spotted 4 jakes, keeping their distance.  My season starts on the 25th and this will be my first turkey hunt.
I wasnt expecting to spot so many turkeys at once, so now I am not sure what would be the best way to get a strutter with that big flock. I have a hen and jake decoys.
Here are some pics I managed to grab of the flock:

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: How do I approach a flock?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 08:45:48 PM »
Looks like you're almost in range in one pic. Find the roost n set up where they fly down or are going to.

Offline MickT

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 09:46:57 PM »
Roost them the night before. Set up between the roost and where they enter the field. If they get out in the middle of the field with hens it will be a long day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ericbrooks

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 10:28:21 PM »
Roost them the night before. Set up between the roost and where they enter the field. If they get out in the middle of the field with hens it will be a long day.

This right here

Offline thunderbirder

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 10:29:31 PM »
They were in the middle of the field but all moving together from one side of the field  to another, possibly giving me a shooting chance of I set up within the woods. Since I observed the 5 jakes all huddled up about 100 yards away from any hens or strutters, it's safe to assume I could use my jake + hen decoy combo.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Offline Ericbrooks

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 12:21:55 PM »
If using a shotgun, I'd leave the dekes in the truck. That's just my opinion